Fishing report: southeastern MA - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2007, 01:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Fishing report: southeastern MA

I made it out the last two days for the first time this year. I decided to keep it local and hit a local lake instead of making the trek to central MA for trout. Yesterday the wind was nasty so I left the fly rod at home, and based on the results yesterday, I left it home again today!

Lake <name withheld for security reasons> was warmer than I expected, and at first, the fish didn't seem to be in their normal areas. It looks like I was just using the wrong bait though since on my second pass through with a different lure I was doing pretty well. I tried a shad rap (my go-to lure) and some plastics with no success, then switched to a white spinnerbait and the bite was on! I got a small bass to start (~12"). A couple of casts later I got my lunker of the day, which was 3 lbs 14 oz (thanks to my wife for the digital scale ). I worked my way around the lake and got nothing, then went back to my honey hole and started bringing in a bunch. I got about 4 or 5 more bass, all 2+ lbs. I also got a 14 oz perch, a couple of big crappies, and one sunfish. All of the bass were on the spinnerbait and the rest were on the shad rap.

I took the day off today to do some work around the house and decided to start the morning with a little time on the water. I went with a clear/fleck skirt spinnerbait today and only a few casts in barely away from launching I was into a MONSTER! It gave me a serious workout by going under the float tube a bunch of times before I brought it in. 4 lbs 10 oz on this one. The rest of the day was the opposite of yesterday in that all of the other bass were relatively small (1-1.5 lb). I got one that was pushing 2 but didn't weigh it. Everything on the spinnerbait again!

All in all two outstanding days with a total of at least a dozen bass, including two lunkers, plus ~8 pickerel, and a few random other fish thrown in. Oh, and one pissed off snapping turtle that I kicked with a fin. Second time I've done that. Forgive the non-fly-fishing report, but we can't have a fly rod in our hands all the time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007, 05:06 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
but we can't have a fly rod in our hands all the time!

sounds like a dare....

good report

I have yet to get the flyrod out, but I was able to get the float tube out last weekend.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:25 PM

Nice

Sounds like that big bass was fun. Congrats on a nice opening weekend.I found that a white bait worked for me too. White is great for me in the salt this time of year too.
I used a white/gray Baby Sluggo and landed two handsome brookies near my house. Also caught what I think was the world record for the smallest Largemouth on the same little sluggo. He had to be 4-5 inches lol.
If I was striper fishing and if regulations allowed it. I would have left him on for a bigger fish.lol. Instead I out him back carefully for my grandkids some day.
Tommorow my first float tube comes in. Can't wait for the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Well after the last two days I just couldn't resist sneaking out again this morning before work. I went back to the white spinnerbait and didn't have much luck at first, then things started happening. The first fish of the day, like yesterday, was my lunker (3 lbs 7 oz). Not too much later I got the second nice fish of the day at 2 lbs 10 oz.

After that, most of the bass were between 1-1.5 lbs, with a few decent pickerel and a really hungry crappie thrown in. I hooked one more decent bass that probably ran 2-2.5 lbs or so, but it jumped and threw the hook. It would have made a very nice picture though since it went at least 2 ft out of the water when it threw the hook.

All in all another excellent day on the water. I don't think I've ever gotten three 3.5+ lb bass on 3 consecutive days before!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:27 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
. . . All in all another excellent day on the water. I don't think I've ever gotten three 3.5+ lb bass on 3 consecutive days before!
Nice! The fishing is usually awesome when the water warms up quickly like this. You can get some really big bass in the early spring .

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.