Help needed - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2007, 01:21 AM

Help needed

Hello,

First of all sorry about my poor english.

I have Winston boron IIX 9" 4# .
It`s kind of soft rod so I thought getting T&T Horizon 9" #4.
What do you think about those two rods and what reel is the best solution for them.
I was thinking of Danielsson 2-5 but someone told me itīs to heavy, what do you think?
Geting Abel or Tibor is lotīs of money, do you thing they are worth that ?
I want "the best" , for the price , if you know what i mean.

I need one 6# rod for the seatrout too, they told me the scott is good, do you have any solutions for nice seatrout rod ?
Hope you can answer my questions.

Thank you for your time and help

Regards from sweden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2007, 10:18 AM

Thank you kind people.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

T&TMan -

Here are a few thoughts... some of us are still shocked that one of our favorite brands, Thomas and Thomas, has been showing up in the website discussions around the internet as being on the selling block again.

So if you are looking for a bit quicker action in a rod than the Winston, you might consider that in your thinking.

Don't get me wrong, I love T&T and one of my favorite rods of all is an H2 travel 7wt for bonefish, it's like an extension of my arm on the flats - the action is just exactly what suits my casting stroke as if they used me as a test dummy

You can't go wrong with a Danielsson reel. The website gives you weights and specs, and there is a Swedish version so you should have no problem. I recommend that once you select a rod, go to the flyshop and try some reels that balance well as you buy the rod from them. Then you have a weight number in mind to compare with the Danielsson reel, unless they have a reel you love right there for you.

Since you are talking 4wt, I doubt the reel choice is really critical - I assume you are fishing trout. Do you fish streams, lakes, or large rivers?

Seatrout - the Danielsson 6nine would probably me my choice. I don't know what size fish you catch but when dealing with the sea I would prefer a 7wt. Coastal winds with a 6wt seems a bit under-matched.

I have only fished the Scott STS much and that rod is terrific. I especially liked it on the flats because the action allows it to load short lines from the tip or long lines further down the blank. This is handy when sight fishing.

For seatrout I assume you are making long 'blind' casts so it seems to me that you need a rod with a comfortable long-line loading flex profile - meaning carry a lot of line in the air.

Even still we are down to talking about line - are you using shooting heads? Are you using long belly floaters?

==> Why don't you explain your (a) trout fishing and (b) sea trout fishing situations and I am sure we will all be able to offer much more focused advice

Juro
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-22-2007, 04:05 PM

Hi Juro

So, you are saying that T&T is nothing to count on any more?
Anyway thank you for your help.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:45 AM

T&T make several models that will suit your needs. Check out there web site and you'll see what I mean. I own both rods and like the T&T better than the Winston. Like all tackle recommendations try and test cast the rod your thinking of . The problem I have with the Winston is it can't handle strong winds like my T&T. I'm talking saltwater fishing. Either rod would be a good choice. FishHawk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.