can you fly fish murky water? - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 10:51 AM

can you fly fish murky water?

Is there any possibilities of fly fishing for trout on murky water (lead or chocolate colored, due to spring runoffs)? Ive read on the internet three opinions:

-with very bright streamers you might.
-another opinion states the opposite: that black streamers contrasts better with murky water
-third opinion is to fish deep with split shots and worms or stay home...

any suggestions or experiencies???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Satisfied

There are 2 solutions to runnoff:

1. Tailwater

2. Lake Fishing

that's my .02 anyway.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
The darker the water, the darker the fly you want to use. You should use large, black flies in murky water.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Or any contrast color. In milky turquoise pacific flows I did well at times with flo-oranges, purples, etc and focus on the edges and seams instead of the main current and look for clear stream mouths.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Pullin' Thread

During the 12 years I lived in Montana, I trout fished a lot during spring runoff (it starts in mid-May and continues into July depending on the river) when the rivers were chocalate brown in color and well up in the willows. I found the best flies to use in those conditions were large and black, claret, or very dark brown fished on or near the bottom with type 6 or type 8 sinktips or full sinking lines or shooting heads.

Cast upstream and keep the fly under tension as it comes downstream even with you though raising your arms and rod tip (even if that means above your head) to keep slack out of the line and then dropping your arms and rod tip as it goes below you (The late Charlie Brooks wrote about doing this in his books and it was known as the "Brooks Method" for quite awhile). The longer the rod you use, the more line and the longer the cast you can control by raising and dropping the rod tip.

Using this method, I caught many trout between 12" and 5 lbs in the chocalate colored water of runoff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.