Yardstick competitors - something to consider - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 05:52 AM
Flats Rat

Yardstick competitors - something to consider

I was at a presentation by "Crazy" Alberto Nye a couple of months back. This guy has hauled more 40lb+ (pounds, not inches) from the beach than most. He is primarilly a conventional guy but also flyfishes. His best on fly to date is 42 POUNDS from the surf - he has photos and plenty of witnesses.

His fly collection includes a handfull of fairly simple herring & bunker type patterns built with synthetic hair - nothing sophisticated or stylish - just plain functional. The biggest was no more than 7 inches. His success is based on putting in an exceptional amount of time and knowing, to the day, hour and location where that "big" girl is likely to be. If the big girl doesn't show within twenty minutes of the expected time, he will head of to the next likely spot for that particular tide. He will leave great fishing with multiple keeper opportunities for the chance of finding big mama at the next hole. I guess that's why they call him "crazy".

He reckons to spend over 200 nights a year on the water but there are 32 nights when nothing will stop him from fishing. Those are the four days either side of the new moons of May, June, September and October.

The point of all of this is that very large stripers do come within fly rod range of the beach and they can be taken on flies.
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2007, 07:13 AM

Great info Adrian. Sometimes the simple things are what really matter. FishHawk
Old 04-14-2007, 08:26 AM

Adrian..thanks for sharing that...an interesting read.
I think that "Crazy' is "Focused". The guy knows what he is after...had his fill of "typical keepers"....puts in the time....gets his kicks now from only the major cows...and has brought his study and pursuit to a new level. Good for him...he deserves every one of them! May not be a pursuit for everyone but that's what makes the sport great...everyone has an opportunity to have fun in their own way.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Pencil me in.....

If you swim to cast from a rock is the fish really caught from shore
Old 04-15-2007, 10:17 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
The point I take away from your post, Adrian, is that spring tides should be the focus of fishermen targeting the big girls. New moon tides coming up in May and June are huge with strong currents to trap bait fish and drain bait off the flats. Like bonefish waiting for spring tides to get into the mangroves, striped bass have their ambush points at the mouth of estuaries during an ebbing spring tide.

If you look at the tide charts, you'll notice the biggest spring tides occur at night. During the Spring Clave, ideal conditions exist for wee hour outgoing tides.

There is a chapter devoted to tides, current and waves in David Ross' book, "The Fisherman's Ocean." It's a good read from an oceanographer and avid fly fisherman.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:44 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

"If you look at the tide charts, you'll notice the biggest spring tides occur at night. During the Spring Clave, ideal conditions exist for wee hour outgoing tides."- jimS
Jimbo- Guess we'd all better bring headlamps with plenty of spare batteries, and clear safety glasses to protect whatever I-balz we got left at this point...aye, mateeee, where da cows be at...AARGHHH....
Flydoc
Old 04-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Too many hobbies...

Thanks for the encouraging info, Adrian

It's sure is nice to find the best tides/moon phases corresponding to my vacation dates.

I've had a load of fun night fishing over the last dozen years. In the days before we got lazy and started taking the Rip Ryder out for the day, Jay Frasier and I always walked out from the Chatham Light and fished our way down South Beach, inside and out.

We brought food and water to keep us going for the long haul and fished from 9 or 10am to midnight or 1am almost every day! We only get to fish the Cape for a week or two each year, so we made sure we got in all the fishing we could. We just fished, ate, and slept.

At dark, we'd start fishing our way back on the inside, usually throwing poppers or Snake Flies. What fun! I did hook my largest fish on one of these late nights. It took a Bonderew Bucktail, rolled on the top briefly (it sounded scary-big), then swam away, nearly spooling me before it broke off.

We've had some interesting action with shad and even blues at night. (Don't lip a fish in the dark until you turn on your headlamp and look at it!)

In the last couple of years, I only fished one night and despite steady action, I left early because I didn't feel it was prudent to be out there by myself. I intend to catch up on my night fishing this year since my buddy Jay is making the trip. It cuts into the social time, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices....

I'm hoping some of the 'clave participants will join us. It should be a productive time to fish, and it's always fun. You should see the "wind knots" you can produce when casting a popper in the dark after a long day of fishing!

Good fishing,
desmobob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.