I finally did it! 8eleven on the way - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 05:10 AM

Talking I finally did it! 8eleven on the way

Last of the big spenders I am.

I called Ron Larson yesterday & ordered a Danielsson LW 8eleven for my 9 wt.

Now I am champing at the bit for FedEx to get here. Being the Cheep bastard that I am it is coming ground. Now I have to suffer the wait.

Now for the funny part. If memory serves me right, it is less Money than the Ross Canyon it is replacing. Go figure.

If this reel isn't all you say it is Juro, I have my little Juro Monomoy flats guide Voodoo doll standing by

Be here in plenty of time to get rigged up for the Roddy Icebreaker

WhooooooooHooooooooo fishing season is just around the corner..............I'm excited
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2007, 05:35 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren

Now for the funny part. If memory serves me right, it is less Money than the Ross Canyon it is replacing. Go figure.

If this reel isn't all you say it is Juro, I have my little Juro Monomoy flats guide Voodoo doll standing by
Well if that's the case I ain't worried

I've been through a couple of those other reels and several more brands too. Very disappointing overall experience being a salty FF'er when it comes to reels. but then along came Daniellson

The only salt survivors I have that don't run several hundred clams are the old lamson LP's - the orphaned bastard child of a good idea born in Washington state by a couple of Boeing machinists. Basic battle-axe reel needing one or two revisions of the drag and clutch to make it the must-have reel of the century, but ignored like the bad grades of a stepchild as it was handed around by it's wealthy adoptive parents.

My SW reel quandry has been thoroughly and utterly solved by the sexy 'can't kill it' Daniellson HD and LW reels. In fact I've used the 6nine for everything from 7wt bonefish to 70# tarpon. Well OK I needed a boat with the latter and the fish won, but I use that reel so much I bought another (one is the old loop version, same reel different logo).

I just got the 8eleven as well for my 9wt/10wt single handers and will be doing a review of it after the Spring Clave. I have the bigger 9thirteen on my 11/12wt two-hander and the 8twelve on the 9wt 2hander. At these prices I can afford to outfit more than just one rod with the best.

I LOVE EM
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2007, 07:55 PM

The 8Eleven came this via FedEx this evening.
As a machinist, mechanic & metal fabricator all of my adult life I have gained an appreciation for well made metal products, This is the first Fly reel I have ever been even remotely impressed with. My Orvis Mach is pretty nice, but not impressive. The rest were just a place to keep the line.

I have built my share of things and worked around some well thought out and nicely built machine things in my life. The workmanship & engineering that Danielsson has put into their reels is amazing. ( I took it apart ) The simplicity of design and beautiful machine work caught my eye right off. The spool change mechanism is not only unique but well thought out. The drag smooth as silk.

The price with a spare spool ? I challenge any one to come up with a better bang for the buck.

The drag parts look a little complicated, But from the looks of things, It will be a rare occasion to go there unless I need to change the hand I reel with.

I cannot wait to get this baby spooled up & wet.

Juro, I have put away the Voodoo doll
Old 04-19-2007, 08:06 PM

Well the most impresive part is yet to come...

I expect a post at the END of the season, and I know it will be twice as glowing as this.

I am going to save up some spare change and fill other niches in my arsenal with these reels before some big company buys them and brings the price back up to the levels Loop had them.

Per the drag mechanism... I've seen the CAD renderings on the website but never had to open it up in YEARS of hard use
Old 04-20-2007, 03:48 AM

Hi,

Where are you guys buying your Danielsson reels from? Are they a dirct import from Sweden? If you do not mind me asking.

Alan
Old 04-20-2007, 04:26 AM

Alan, they are a site sponsor. In the upper left side of the page you will see a sponsor link.

Ron Larson is the man to call or email. Be patient he will call back or return your email.

Here is the link to Danielsson. http://danielsson-flyreels.se/us/start.php
Old 04-20-2007, 08:49 AM

Thanks Warren!

Alan
Old 04-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Striper Fan

Send a message via MSN to shad
Alan
If your getting it sent to the UK try the European site
http://danielsson-flyreels.se/catalo...33eaa41be0c7a7
Think the prices are higher but no import tax.
Cheers Colin
Old 04-20-2007, 08:16 PM

The current prices of Danielsson reels are exactly what Fly shops and pros were paying to get them form Loop when it was reselling Danielsson HD and LW reels.

Right now fly fisherman can purchase these reels for the same price ( half of the prievious retail price) directly from designer/manufacturer.

The HD and LW are the most reliable and sexy reels currently avaialble, regardless of price.

If Charlton will start to make its reel again we'll have the two brands to chose form, most likely for quite differnet prices......
Old 04-21-2007, 06:28 AM

I own a HD 9/13. Is the LW the same basic design as the HD with less metal?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:41 AM

Yup

The drag is supposed to be less resistant to nuclear attack but I have found my LWs to withstand just about anything I throw at them - stripers, bones, tarpon, jacks, etc.

I have both HD and LW now
Old 04-21-2007, 11:17 AM
LBFF Mojo

The drags are a little different. You cannot lock down the drag on the LW like you can the HDs. You can get it pretty tight on the LW but not to full lock down. For the vast majority of species it really does not matter but something to consider. The HDs are a little heavier as well but still a light reel.

For some reason I prefer the aesthetics of the HD and have 4 9/13s and 3 11/14s. I love em.

-sean
Old 04-21-2007, 12:49 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
??? On Danielsson's site I see no reference to an 8/11, only an 8/12. Is it new, a change, or what?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:55 PM

Hi Bill -

The 8eleven was removed from the literature but is still made. Just contact Ron to order one.

I will have mine at the spring clave - you coming out for it?
Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Hi Juro
Would love to come, but schedule doesn't look like it. But, will definitely if I can break away. It would be a last minute thing. You like the 8eleven for bonefish? With a WF8 or WF10 would it take 30# micron, or would I have to use 50# gelspun?
Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.