Fly Advice - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 01:09 PM

Fly Advice

I am headed to Naples for Snook, Redfish and Tarpon. Any specific colors / patterns I should have?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2007, 03:54 PM

Several years ago I had good luck along those beaches using small white Deceivers that were shaped and sized to resemble pinfish. Maybe about 3"-4" long and wide (tall).

I also had good luck with a small popper for snook. My favorite technique was to walk the beach at sunrise roll-casting as I walked so the popper was just in the surf line for a several pops. Keep walking slowly and casting ahead of you; very enjoyable and effective for snook that are cruising the water's edge in April. Watch out for joggers and tourists behind you if you do this.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:09 AM

Went to a wedding in Naples a few years back...

Fished from a little dock in one of the estuary systems right at sunrise....used nothing but a gurgler, and caught countless snook...from little up to about 8 lbs or so. Also hit the beach as the sun got higher...mix of spanish macks, jacks and the teeniest permit....used mostly tan or olive over white clousers.

Took only an 8 wt, which seemed about right.

Good luck.

Mark
Old 04-13-2007, 12:04 PM
In moderation

My favourite fly for these fish, is probably a red and white seaducer. It is great for snook, redfish and baby tarpon.

Pete
Old 04-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Thanks for your advice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.