Steelhead Fly of the week – Springer Green - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 03:40 PM

Steelhead Fly of the week – Springer Green

The inventor of this fly is Walt Johnson, originally from Arlington, Washington. The fly was invented in the 1970’s for spring fishing on tributaries of the Columbia..

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Flat silver tinsel and fluorescent green floss.
Tail: Toucan orange hackle barbs
Rib: Flat silver tinsel
Body: Rear half, greenish yellow yarn, front half, green yarn.
Collar: Toucan orange hackle.
Throat Barred wood duck.
Wing: White fox or rabbit hair.
Cheeks: Hackle tips dyed grass green.
Head: White
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SpringGreen.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	6343  
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Interesting pattern!

With their ocean diet being rich with candlefish, whose colors are primarily these it's a wonder I never put these colors to use on early run fish.

I shall have to try it.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Pullin' Thread

Charlie,

Notice how Walt put a cheek (or sides) of hackle fibers on this fly in the manner of using Kingfisher or Indian Crow. This is something he got from classic featherwing Atlantic Salmon flies. He put hackle fiber cheeks (or sides) on many of his flies after he met and got to know Syd Glasso and saw some of Syd's classic featherwings (Syd gave him a quite a few of them) when Syd fished the Stilly for Deer Creek fish after Syd's daughter moved to the Seattle area.

Don't know if you know this or not, but Glasso moved to Seattle after he retired from being the principle at the Forks, WA high school and lived in Seattle until his death. Glasso and Walt became good friends and often fished together. Unfortunately, I never got to know Glasso since he died before I moved the WA state. My very good friend Bob Arnold knew Glasso and counted Walt amongst his friends as well. Also, Alec Jackson knew Glasso very well (Alec has a good number of Glasso tied Glasso speys and classic featherwings in his home) too.

This fly was designed for fishing the SW Washington rivers in May for the "springer steelhead" of the Kalama, Washougal, and Lewis rivers. Arnold told me that Walt did this because he thought that the greens and yellow-greens of all the vegatation fit well with the use of a green or greenish-yellow fly. Walt also used this fly on the Stilly during May and very early June to good effect. In later years, he also put a few strands (3-4) of pearl of chartruese Krystal Flash in the wing to give it a bit of "twinkling sparkle".

This is a wonderfully composed fly by one of the master tyers and steelhead fly fisherman who helped establish the steelhead fly fishing tradition in Washington state. The steelhead fraternity had a great loss upon Walt's death several years ago.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:59 PM

This is an amazing fly. I've never seen anything like it in regards to colors for steelhead. Usually steelhead flies seem a variation on a theme -- but this bug is truly unique.

Cool.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 04-13-2007, 07:08 PM

Charlie: That's a beautiful tie - and fly!

And thanks to flytier for the very nice story about the rich heritage of the fly and its place in Western steelhead-fishing history.

Charlie, I'm thinking that this one would excite a few Atlantic salmon on the GREEN rivers of the Gaspesie!

Give 'er a go and let us know how it does down east.

Jim Corrigan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.