Urgent salmon /trout advise - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 06:06 AM

Urgent salmon /trout advise

Dear all,
Next may 24th I wil go fishing salmon. The problem is I still dont have a salmon rod, nor a reell. The lad at the shop where I usually buy my fishing materials had advise me in case one hand rod a sage vt-2, and in case two hand a st croix( dont remember the model), and both with a redington reel. About the st croix, he told me although the warranty is no so good, the rod has a very good quality/price ratio, 300 euros. Could anyone tell me about st croix rods?About advantages/disadvantages of one-two hand salmon rods?
My second dout is about the reel I want to buy for my trout rod, a sage vps line 4 9, 3 parts. This same lad told me that a redington reel should be more than enough for just trouts( I will only fish trouts with that rod. My doubt is wther to get a sage reel since those are very light, so they will go better with my vps in terms of weight. I thought here the difference of wieght is more relevant than with the salmon, specially when using dry flies. besides I have a frind coming from USA at the end of the month and she would be able to buy the reel for me, which coul be nice since the prices there are lot better than Europe. Any suggestion about the sage reel option nad where to buy it in USA?
Thank you very much for any advise, and sorry if I sounded too overdemanding, but I m a new comer with almost zero experienc in need of alot of advise!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 08:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
St Croix has an excellent warranty and their rods are top quality. Maybe the shop owner hasn't had good luck since he's in Europe and St Croix is in the USA? I have 3 of their rods and love them all. I've never heard anything bad about their warranties.

For reels, Redington is a good choice. They also make good rods. It is nice to have a light weight reel, but the most important thing is that the reel and rod balance well when you cast. Sometimes a heavier reel will balance the rod better and be easier to cast all day.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:37 PM

Thanks

Thanks teflon,
Your points make sens, but because of that, now Im even more confuse about what to look for..I thought the fact of having a ligther reel would be better for a long day. So, what are the advantages of a ligth reel like a sage?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:46 AM

In general, the lighter the reel the better. But my point is that you should cast the rod with a couple of different reels and see which one you like best. Here's a simple test for you. Put a reel on a rod and string the line through the guides. Now take one finger, put it on the cork grip, and balance the rod on that one finger. It should balance roughly at the front/top of the grip, which is where you're going to be pivoting from when you cast. If it balances much higher up the blank, then the reel is probably too heavy.

The reason a lighter reel isn't always better is that if the reel is too light, you'll have to use your wrist more to stabilize the motion of the rod and counteract the casting stroke. The reel is located below your casting hand and it helps balance the rod and take some of the stress off of your wrist. If the reel is too light, you'll have to put more pressure on the rod with your wrist.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:37 AM

Perfect

Thanks teflon,
I got the point, your explNtion is really complete, and helpfull. I will do that test.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:02 AM

Valentin reels

Hi again,
Do you know Valentin reels? are their salmon fishing models good?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

If you are new to spey,, and i think you are,, i suggest staying away until you get some lessons and /or become aware of the hidden dangers that lie within. First and foremost is that you will in all likelihood kill your self with a hook as you have no idea of anchor points and the velocity these flies travel(around your head) on most casts unless you know what you are doing. Secondly,, you will flog and thrash water where you will put fish down and anger other anglers. Stick to what you know for now.
single hand rod should be at least a 9' 8wt. That'll get you through most any situation. Maybe a 9' 9wt. Your reel should have a decent drag or else the ability to "palm" the rim to add pressure. You sound new to salmon angling so i would get a guide and listen to him,, from where to cast to how to fight a fish. I really suggest leaving a two hander alone till you get a few hours under your belt and learn the casts and anchor points and where the fly should be in relation to your body in all situations. Seriously,, you can really do yourself some harm.
Salmon Chaser
Old 04-11-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
If it balances much higher up the blank, then the reel is probably too heavy.
I just realized I said exactly the opposite of what I meant.
If it balances much higher up the blank (than the front of the cork/grip), then the reel is probably too LIGHT!

This is a broad generalization and as such it's subject to error. But I find that it's a good starting point.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:26 AM

Valentin

Tnaks teflon, can you tell me anything about the above mentioned valentine reel?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.