Blue Turbo Tempeldog - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 05:43 PM

Blue Turbo Tempeldog

Hi

Long time since I`ve posted a fly here.
This Templedog is tied for salmon fishing in norway, but should do some damage elswhere to
The fly features the new F.I.T.S cone, which is made to create more turbulens=more movment. I have no idea wheter it works better than a traditional cone head tempeldog, but the turbo cone gives the fly a cool look.

Materials:
Tube: M & XS Blue F.I.T.S Tube material
Body: First 1/2 IS Blue Mirage flash, Second 1/2 is a mix of blue and holo silver Angel hair + white hackle ribbed with pearl mini fltabraid.
Wing: Blue and Black tempeldog, blue mirage flash, krystal flash and pearl krinkle flash.
Hackle: when the blue part of the wing is finished a blue hackel is tied in; the same for the black. The final hackel is a black golden pheasant/spey hackel.
Cheeks: (VERY optional) Jungel Cock
Cone/Head: F.I.T.S Turbo cone

Click image for larger version

Name:	forum_photo.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	6336

Regards
Anders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 07:26 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
OK Anders, interesting fly . . . I really do like the blue. But tell us more about the FITS turbo cone. And who makes them.
Bill
Old 04-05-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrke
But tell us more about the FITS turbo cone. And who makes them.
Bill
Yup, I have heard of them but have not yet seen them on this side of the pond. I would also be interested in some more info on them. And great fly!

Charlie.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:20 AM

Hi

The F.I.T.S system is developed by Mikael Frödin, a Swedish flytier and Salmon fisher. (F.I.T.S = Frödins Improved Tubefly System)

The tubes: Flexible plastic tubes in size XS, S, M and L. (The size is the diameter of the tube) It comes in 7 colours: Clear, Fl. orange, Fl. yellow, Fl. red, Fl. charteruse, Fl. black and Fl.Blue
- XS fits into the M tube
- S fits into the L tube

The Turbo Cones: F.I.T.S Turbo cones, created to generate turbulense = movment in the tube fly. It comes in size:
- XS (6mm)
- S (8mm)
- M (10mm)
- L (12mm)
If you replace mm with cm you get the suited lengt of the wing on the fly.

The Cones: Thin tungsten cone made to fit the F.I.T.S tubes.
- S fits on XS tube
- M fits on XS & S tube
- L fits on S tube

The cones are deliverd int the following colours: Silver, Gold, Charteruse, fl. orange, fl. yellow, black/charteruse, black/orange and black nickle.

The system is distributed by: non-sponsor link removed
The site is in norwegian

I`ve attached some more pics to display how it all works. and which tube tool (needle) to use when tying.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4036.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	6339 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4039.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	6340 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4041.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	6341 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4043.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	6342

Regards
Anders

Last edited by juro; 04-07-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:30 AM

Anders,

I have the F.I.T.S. tubes in all the sizes as well as both the turbo cones and the tungsten cones in all the sizes. The problem that I'm having is that the hole in the cones is small enough that even fairly heavy tippet material barely goes through it. I even watched Toni Karuvaara tie using these items at a speyclave on the Muskegon River about two years ago. Unfortunately, I wasn't in a position to take notes and have forgotten much of what he showed us. I know he used a butane lighter to heat the tube and squeeze it down to size. However, the holes in these tubes are so small I can't see how he managed to do it. Even my fly tying guru (Heron on this board) is stumped. Perhaps the thin tube shown in your photos (below the turbo cone) is part of the answer. I ordered the DVD, even though it was in Swedish (or Norwegian---I forget which) but it doesn't play at all on my DVD player. I'd love to know what you do to solve this problem. Can you give us a quick lesson? By the way, the materials are available from the same Guideline folks that many of us get our PowerTaper (PT) heads from, as well as the some superb rods and reels that they make.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:23 PM

J.R. Spey,

I too watched Toni tie at the Muskegon Clave. As I remember it, and as shown in the Frodin DVD, the XS tube is stretched by pulling on a section in opposite simultaneously in directions to achieve a tapered section of the tube. You can then insert the tapered XS tube into the M tube. You apply some Loc-Tite to the exterior of XS tube, pull it down to where you want it to be inside the M tube (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the front of the M tube), and glue it into the M tube . This takes a little patience since the glue doesn't hold the first time, each time, but it does hold eventually.

After tying the fly, you slip the cone over the tapered end of the XS tube, pull it down to the head of the tied fly, and apply some Loc-Tite. You then snip off the excess XS tube, leaving about 1/8 inch, to which you apply heat from the lighter. The tube shrinks back and you make sure the hole is not closed by sticking the needle into the opening while the tube is still warm.

That's pretty much it. Hope this helped.

CK
Old 04-10-2007, 07:53 AM

Thanks, Smolt. As I mentioned, I couldn't get the DVD to work in my machine and it didn't work in Heron's either. I guess I'll have to get it replaced. Certainly seeing it done, even though the the dialog is in Swedish, would make a big difference. I still find it hard to believe one can get 12-15lb Maxima though it when finished, but I guess I won't know for sure until I try it. Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:20 AM

Hi....

There shoud be no problem to get heavy tippet through the hole.

I think

regards
Anders
Old 09-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Thumper of Drum.

Send a message via AIM to Jamey McLeod Send a message via MSN to Jamey McLeod Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey McLeod
Toni K will be back at Henning Park on November 10th for those interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.