Western North Carolina - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Western North Carolina

I recently moved to Asheville, NC a couple months ago and have fly fished many of the rivers around here to no avail. I have only caught a couple little browns. I'm fairly new to fly fishing so I do not understand fly selection very well. Anyone have some recommendation on what to use around this area? Someone told me small dry flies work the best. Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 03:21 PM

Is their a local fly shop around? If no fly shop, stop in at all the local sporting goods stores and ask the folks their. That is the only advice I can offer. Here is a good idea, start flipping rocks in the stream and see what bugs are present or get a nymph sain and see what bugs you come up with and match those. Also search for a hatch chart on the internet for those streams. I hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:32 PM

I went camping two years in row in the smokey mtns when I was in college(LONG TIME AGO) and accessed right on the tenesse/NC border. Lots of little creeks with wild fish. Even when I was down there folks in the rural country stores spoke of fish in the creeks. This was pre fly days for me so I went with an UL and pack full of panther martins.... however, when I went we were rained out completey and didn't have much time to fish as time was spent staying dry and eating crappy food, and puffin down. I always think of these trips when I see the scenes for COLLEGE GIRLS gone wild and wonder why I never went some where crazy with chicks...anyways enough from me. Good luck on your ventures
Old 04-03-2007, 04:39 PM

Try (link removed). They have hatch charts for NC/TN.

I fished the Elk River yesterday and caught a nice Rainbow using their chart, nothing using my own wisdom!

Hope this helps...

Last edited by juro; 04-03-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:37 PM

while i hate to refer you to another site, northgeorgiatroutonline.com covers the area which borders and covers western n.c.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.