2007 Regional Yardstick Bass Contest - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

2007 Regional Yardstick Bass Contest

Let's do a first 36" on the fly contest for 2007

Division by State: NJ/NY, CT, RI, MA, NH/ME
(MD and VA are spawning states)

Entry Fee: 5 flies (one for each division winner)

Rules:

- Send in flies and information to enter
- Contest starts April 15th (yes I know you need to do taxes too)
- Ends when first 36" of migratory health (no holdovers) is caught in all states
- Each division winner gets one of the 5 flies from each entrant

Photo required. Must be a member of the FORUM to enter. Ties resolved by public poll.

The more people enter, the higher the stakes and it's only 5 flies come on I know you've been tying stir crazy all winter give it up dudes!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

I like it Juro

but,lets stretch that yardstick to 40". Also is this open to shore and boat? Early season boaters will have an advantage,if you remember last year off of Wellfleet in the bay they were hammering the big sandeels.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 AM

I thought about that but just to keep it simple I didn't do the split.

Why don't people chime in... do we do a shore / boat division? You can enter one or the other.

Shore div = 36"
Boat div = 42"

thoughts from all?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Flats Rat

Should be fun.

I like the 40" bar from shore - it is still achievable but a lot tougher than a 36"!

Certainly a separate division for boats. Would Kayak count as boat?

Photo of fish alongside a discernable measure?

Closing date for entries - December 31st?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:13 PM

Keep the thoughts coming...
Old 04-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Jonesin...

I say 5 flies per entrant and split up the flies between boat and shore categories. Biggest fish of 2007 takes the kitty in each. Keeps the fun going all season long with a sticky thread to keep track of the progress. Could be fun to see if the bigger fish are caught heading north or south?

Sean
Old 04-03-2007, 02:42 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Juro, great idea. Gets the competitive juices flowing.

I agree with Adrian, 40 inches from shore. That is a stretch for most of us, but doable.

Separate category for boats/kayaks (watercraft). Forty five inches.

In addition to flies, how about sponsors supplying some prizes, e.g. flylines.

Rules will include, "no bait-and-switch"?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS
Juro, great idea. Gets the competitive juices flowing.

I agree with Adrian, 40 inches from shore. That is a stretch for most of us, but doable.

Separate category for boats/kayaks (watercraft). Forty five inches.

In addition to flies, how about sponsors supplying some prizes, e.g. flylines.

Rules will include, "no bait-and-switch"?

I totally disagree with the no bait and switch rule. If that is the case might as well say no clousers, silk lines only etc...

I am fine with whatever measures we go with but I think we will get more partcipation and great pics if we just say submit your big fish with a lower minimum and we vote for the best fish in each category at season end. I might catch a 40" pig in the fall that blows away your 42" spring racer.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to capecodkid
When does it end?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 PM
LBFF Mojo

I agree with Jim on the bait and switch. A few reasons...

- The guy doing the baiting is the most responsible for the fish being caught or not and I got a feeling he aint fly fishing.

- Clousers do not get fish all riled up like a 5 ounce hookless popper being ripped across the water.

- Plus it sounds like this is a personal endeavor and not a team thing.

40 sounds good to me for shore.

On the kayak thing though...If you used a kayak to get to a wading spot is the fish a boat or shore fish?

Definitely need a witness or a tape measure next to the fish. Will keep us honest cause we are fisherman afterall

-sean
Old 04-03-2007, 03:58 PM
2hand canal ,conventional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smcdermott
I totally disagree with the no bait and switch rule. If that is the case might as well say no clousers, silk lines only etc...

I am fine with whatever measures we go with but I think we will get more partcipation and great pics if we just say submit your big fish with a lower minimum and we vote for the best fish in each category at season end. I might catch a 40" pig in the fall that blows away your 42" spring racer.
Okay I agree with that ,no clousers,they're not a real flies any ways just an old jig with feathers and bucktail,hows this no weighted flies at all.Lets keep this within the spirit Juro first intended,just fun amungst fellow FLYFISHERMAN/WOMAN.If you need to be competitive sign up for OTW's striper cup.Flyfishing only.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Flats Rat

As long as you are wading when the fish is hooked it is a shore fish. If we disqualify boats/kayaks as means of transportation then do we disqualify someone who took the Rip Ryder to get to their shore spot?

I wasn't sure how bait and switch would apply in this context and agree that this should be an individual event. As it is a flyfishing competition, you could, technically, do your own 'bait and switch' with two fly rods. If you're talented enough to pull it off on your own, I wouldn't disallow it. It sure would make a good video

Is this a striped bass only competition? My vote is yes, stripers only. Others may feel differently but it could get complicated if we go multi species.

Based on last year's early winter temperatures, I still think December 31st is a good end date

By the way, the Hudson is a spawning region so do we disallow Hudson stripers from the NY/NJ division?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Middle Aged Member

No clousers - guess I'm out. Freakin elitest.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:12 PM

Here's what I have so far...

Bait and switch OK but only if you are both the baiter and the switcher. No trolling.

Clousers OK. Otherwise poppers, creaseflies, crab patterns, epoxy minnows, all that would have to be eliminated. If you can tie it and it's listed as a fly in a fly pattern book it's in. I don't think a clouser is the best pattern to do this with, but it's up to the angler. I have a new pattern devised over the winter that I think will do the trick and weight has nothing to do with it.

Boat and shore are different divisions. Differentiation is fishing from boat or fishing from shore, transportation does not affect division - it's where your feet are while fishing. If you are treading water you are in the boat division

If we set it to 40" we will be running the 40+ club from last year which didn't get a lot of participation. Once the fishing gets real good contests just kind of fade into the background.

My thinking was that a 36" would be pretty quick - sometime in May. Thus we could get the flies in NOW and hit the season hard for the win.

How about 38"?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC54
Okay I agree with that ,no clousers,they're not a real flies any ways just an old jig with feathers and bucktail,hows this no weighted flies at all.Lets keep this within the spirit Juro first intended,just fun amungst fellow FLYFISHERMAN/WOMAN.If you need to be competitive sign up for OTW's striper cup.Flyfishing only.

I think you missed my point. I am just trying to simplify things and saying the biggest fish caught on a fly rod gets the flies by each category. I think the race to the first fish thing with multiple regions and all is just too complicated. I am just looking forward to seeing a bunch of pictures of big bass and I think the simpler we make it the more likely we are to get widespread participation. I am firmly agains the OTW or any other kill tournament.

Sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.