Favorite Fly??? - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Favorite Fly???

So there you are. June 20th.....maybe on the Matapedia......maybe on the Bonaventure......maybe on the York. You got a beautful head of water.....and got to the pool first. Takes a #4 - $6......nice water. The light is nice and dim......early morning. A little fog in the air....just like you like it. Right at the top of the pool.....nice head flowing in.......what Fly to you tie on.

I myself have loved a bastard form of the black dose. Or perhaps a black bear green butt.......nice floressent Green.....maybe with a little flash. Thats my fly. But I am learning to trust some other patterns at what we call the "prime time".

I am curious......we all have our one or two favorites...... What's your's????? As we sit at our benches......some of us need some inspiration......
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 07:49 PM

Ahhh ... to dream ... perchance to angle ...

If I thought that the flow required a #4, I'd probably try a Restigouche Black Dose. A Black Bear Green Butt (or Glitter Bear) is always a good call.

I guess that's what Howie said!

If I wanted to run a #6 through, I'd be tempted to tie on a Red-headed Undertaker. It's the classic Warren Duncan pattern with a blood red head. This pretty fly has worked for me on a number of rivers as a 'first fly of the day.'

Another favorite is a slightly modified version of the Roger's Fancy. I had a ton of Highlander-green coloured flies, so I tied my version with a very dark emerald-green floss body. As well, I use some evil-looking yellow-green fluorescent plastic stuff for the butt. It's hard for me not to pull this out as the 'first fly' on any green river.

HMMM ... I noticed a commonality here - everything but the BBGB has some peacock in it. Ooops ... deep dark fishing secret revealed!

Jim Corrigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

#4?? Hmmm. Hands down it would be Michel's Pompier,,, all the way! My second choice would be a Night Hawk!! These two hairwings are both beautiful and elegant to both tie and fish. We are using spey rods in these dream too aren't we
Salmon Chaser
Old 03-24-2007, 06:03 PM

Matapedia and York 1st fly would be a #2 Silver Grey .2nd fly would be a #4 or 6 Green Stonelfy .Bonnie #1 would be a Pompier then the Stonefly . If the fish haven't become active I'd then run a #2 or bigger BBGB through .
Cheers
Old 03-24-2007, 10:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
My most productive wet flies have been a red abbey and green highlander. 2 of my 3 biggest fish came on a 2/0 red abbey.
Morning of the first day i usually start with a #2 green highlander unless the conditions are ripe for dries.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Venture

It looks like green/black, yellow/green, red/yellow, silver/grey. No wonder why so many patterns that stand the test of time revolve around these combinations of colour. I can think of various highly popular flies tied with these combinations.

After tying all to specification, does it really matter. We know they like Green black, and perhaps even some flash. So how about a juicey black/green muddler:

Tail : Dark Turkey wing
Body : Flourencsent green flash dubbing
Ribbing ; Fine Silver
Wing: sparce flash under black squrrel under dark turkey
Throat and head.......clipped black deer hair.

Looks Killer.......in size #2 - #6.......... Something about a nice fat muddler.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:32 PM

favorite fly!

HELLO!
On the MATAPEDIA i would use a no. 4 or 6 BBGB or a BLACK DOSE to switch to a pompier as soon as the sun would be up. Being not famillar with the YORK i would rather rely on my guide to make a suggestion.

get
Old 03-25-2007, 09:05 PM

This year my first fly in the water will be the Serge Vincent - a fly I created last month, dedicated to his memory.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Venture

Andre,

The "Serge Vincent" looks like a killer. Perhaps you can publish the "official pattern....and we can all fish it....in memory of your friend. Great idea to celebrate the life and passion of our past friends. I am sure if you fish the "Serge" you will get a nice one...... "HE" will see to that....

Gives me the idea to immortalize some of the past pioneers of our sport......like Lee Wolff. Perhaps we should design a fly called the "Darbee" for Harry and his wife Elsie. He loved sparce and reduced patterns.

Also we could develop a Schneider for Lori Schneider. And lets not forget George Maul......and make a fly called the Mauler. I am sure if we mixed some black and green around, or some red and yellow, or silver and grey......we could come up with some winners that would immortalize some of the past souls that deserve to be remembered...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.