My first DIY trip to Acklins - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 02:38 PM

Bonefishmon, All my trips, to the Bahamas, have been in the fall for the very reasons you mentioned. Earliest being Oct. 20 and the latest saw my son and I eating lobster and turkey. Some of the weeks have been perfect and some have had some bad weather but the fishing has been good each time.
I think September and early October may be even better but then you have the hurricane threat. I asked our host about that last fall and he said he had been on that island for 50 years and never seen one. I think we worry about the hurricanes alot more than the Bahamians do.

All the remote destinations in this part of the world are no longer guarded and when something good is found word gets out and we see the very thing that makes that destination so special dissapear. Even in the Seychells, the romote islands are visited weekly instead of monthly. A post on a message board or an article in a magazine opens up a destination to thousands of people. Makes you wonder if there are any places out there that are still guarded by the few that know of them. I am not saying you need to guard that specail place, I am not sure if you can, but some places I would like to see reamain as they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 01:21 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
We'll I just returned from a DIY trip to Acklins--was there from March 17-24, and I certainly echo some of the points made below. Weather was tough, with high winds and mixed sun most days--often more clouds than sun. But we actually managed to see lots of fish most days, saw fewer a couple other days. Considering the weather we faced, I thought we all did fairly well in terms of numbers of fish seen and caught. No "ridiculous" numbers caught, but it's called fishing for a reason!
Of the five guests I brought down, two of them fished with a guide for one day, and the rest fished with a guide for three days. I chose to diy exclusively, as I was just here a few weeks ago and was guided everyday.
We did have use of kayaks, which we took advantage of. I think they are more useful up north where we stayed as there are some creek systems where flats are separated by deeper channels. They were fun and helpful, and if the wind was too strong we could usually walk them along the shore and use them to cross the deeper areas.
We stayed up in Chesters and enjoyed our hosts Arnette & Julius very much. They went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable, and cooked up some delicious Bahamian food for us. Fresh conch salad (very spicy), minced lobster, grouper, ribs, even corned beef and cabbage to commemorate St. Pattie's day!
I certainly agree with Bob in that hiring a guide for a day or two is a good option. You'll fish areas that you can't otherwise reach, plus if you get the right guide you'll learn some new things too. Makes the guides happy too.
Don't forget to walk the beaches on the bight side either. Bones can be found cruising here, especially on an incoming & high tide. It's not the traditional "flats" fishing most people picture when they think of bonefishing, but they are there, as well as 'cudas, sharks and jacks.
Here are some pics of the trip:

Farrow Allen with a bone

View from our rooms--bonefish included!

I'll post a few more pics when I receive them from the other guys who joined me.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:30 PM

Vince,

The bone on the mangrove...did you use Superglue or Zap a Gap?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
UV knot sense.

I normally don't even take the bones out of the water, but the mangrove was right there behind me and he layed perfectly still for about 4 seconds so I could get the shot. One flip and he was gone.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.