Holiday/fishing locations - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007, 07:18 AM

Holiday/fishing locations

Hi all,

Any advice on destinations where I can take my girlfirend on holiday but also sneak away for some fishing?

Been to Mexico last 2 years and had a couple of good trips over at Cozumel and down in Ascension Bay. Managed to sneak away in the early mornings for a couple of hours fishing the beaches also. Saw Jacks, cuda etc.

Are there any other recommended destinations where I could get up early in the mornings and fish the beaches, or is Mexicothe top choice? Will try to book a guided trip also, but has it's a break with my girlfriend, a nice hotel, pool, food etc are the main priorities.

Looking to go first 2 weeks of July if that has any effect on areas.

All thoughts appreciated, cheers

Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2007, 12:07 PM

IMHO, it's hard to beat Nantucket as a July destination, with Chatham and Martha's Vineyard as close seconds.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:21 PM

Hi Josko, thanks for the reply. Not familiar with Nantucket. Is this easily reached from the UK?

Have mostly been thinking about Caribean/mexico destinations.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 05:27 PM

edit: I missed the time of the year that you wanted to go. As has already been said, Martha's vineyard and natucket are awesome.

Last edited by rhodyflyguy; 03-25-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:34 PM

Remember July's hurricane season in the carribean.

Nantucket's pretty easy to get to: fly to Boston and catch a connecting flight to Nantucket. They are very frequent in summer. Alternately, catch a bus to Hyannis and take a ferry. (Post here if can't find schedules.) Boston-Vineyard flights are just as frequent, except you'd take the bus from Logan airport to Woods Hole ferry terminal instead. They go pretty much hourly or even more frequently in summer.

Also, from the UK, I'd consider Bermuda and Madeira. Both have spectacular fishing that time of the year, and Madeira's one of the most beautiful islands I've ever been on.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:23 AM

Mexico

I just got back from Mexico, and had a great stint of DIY fishing in Boca Paila but for the most part I found the Beach fishing to be less than savory! And unless you are staying in Tulum or at one of the fishing lodges down in Sian Ka'an it is a bit of a hike to go fishing! I would lean toward the north east striper fishing.
Aaron
Old 03-29-2007, 02:49 AM
In moderation

Hi Daniel
As Josko said July is hurricane season. That means that even if there are no big storms there is a good chance that the weather will not be good.
In my experience the mornings are OK but there are thunder storms most afternoons.
If you want to risk it then OK. Most of the tropics are very hot and flats fishing for bones etc. is only really possible early or late. From the UK you could try Cuba.

However the other suggestions sound very good. Striper fishing in the NE USA is great fun and the beaches etc are great.

In the summer I tend to go salmon fishing to Norway or Iceland. Probably not the places to take a girl friend.

Pete
Old 03-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Josko gives good advice. I've been to Bermuda in mid-summer and it was perfect all around. Weather is like winter in more southern areas and the girlfriend will be elated to spend time there. It's probably the cleanest all around and most accomodating. Beaches on the south side are beyond description. Big bonefish on the west end of the island (Somerset).

If you do a Cape Cod trip you can spend the $$ you would have on airfare on the best of the best for her and that should get you more fishing tokens in between wining and dining. Biggest bang for buck in the NE striper scene.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.