Mexico Fishing license Required? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 12:07 PM

Mexico Fishing license Required?

I am off to the Yucatan again, I will be staying in Akumal this year at the Grand Bahia Principe. I am much more restricted finacially this year, and I am trying to see if anyone has a definative answer to the "Fishing License" Question.

In my trip last year, I fished with Pesca Maya, which was fantastic, but well out of my range this year. In days prior to the guided fishing, we explored the Sian Kaan Biosphere preserve and found deserted beaches and beautiful lagoons etc. The gentleman at the Biosphere preserve said I needed a guide, but locals we met along the way said he was full of it. It was a hard feeling watching fish cruise the crystal clear surf, girlfriend insisting on me not stringing up b/c we would get in trouble. Can I fish on my own? I get mixed answers including some guide sights that suggest that a license is now required. Is this similar to what the Bahamian Guides are attempting to limit DIY fishing?

Any information would greatly appreciated.

Aaron

P.S.- hope the Acklins adventure was a blast guys!

Last edited by CascoBay; 03-07-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I recall a friend saying it was like $10... small price to pay IMHO
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 AM

Yes a license is required. I'm sure they must have like a one week license if the cost is 10 dollars. Though I have not looked into it yet I do know that when we sail to mexico next year they will require everyone on board to have a season fishing license weather you fish or not and it is 150.00 dollars per person.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 PM

I asked this question in January. Feel free to take a look at my old post. It may just be more confusing, but more conflicting conversationwith some good information. check out this thread dates 01/01/2007 "Fly Fishing Playa Del Carmen, MX"

I am going back in November and I am still unsure what I am going to do. I am trying to find a real answer. I may just contact the Mexican fisheries in San Francisco. Let me know if you find anything out for certain.

Thanks!

EJE
Old 03-29-2007, 11:23 PM

Beaches and such are federal property and open to fishing. Here is an phone number where you can call and get the correct information. It doesn't cost much to get a license but it is required.

Oficina de Pesca
2550 Fifth Avenue # 15 San Diego, CA. 92103
Ph: (619) 233-4324 Fax: (619) 233-0344

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.