Just got back! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 PM

Just got back!

Last July me and the wife moved to Colorado for work. My wife gave birth to our son and we saved up a bit and decided that Colorado is a wasteland and since it held no steelhead, we decided to return to the great state, I should say the GREATEST state of Washington.

Haven't fished much, but first day we got back I hooked into this beautiful native buck steelhead on the swing.

We camped at the river the first night here. I decided to fish the river real quick. I hit it for about 30 minutes as my wife fed and changed my son. Nothing but I did see a few fish roll which was very promising. I went on my way and landed a job and a place to live and started moving in. I had tons of things to do that day, most involving going to various businesses that didn't open until 8, 10, 11am etc, so I figured i'd head up to the river and try my luck for an hour or so. I work my way down one of my favorite runs and find myself in my favorite hole on the river. A picture perfect piece of holding water. A downed tree with rootball, a little boulder and a nice rocky bottom. Probably has a fish in it every day of the year. Start at the top, work my way down the run. I get down to the boulder and cast. I watch my line swing downstream and I feel a little "tap" then "WHAM BAM" and there was no need to set the hook. He did it himself. A few nice jumps, a tailwalk and several nice runs and this native buck steelhead was eased into the shallows and tailed for a picture and a quick release.

Perfect way to start off back in the area!

Finally got some time to go fishing again. I'll be out on the upper Skagit tomorrow.

Anyways, good to be back!

Last edited by SteelheadKid; 03-20-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2007, 11:07 PM

Hey, Kid,

Great to hear from you again, glad you're back, and thanks for the post. Great fish and some good prose to go with it. Keep 'em coming.

-- Eric
Old 03-21-2007, 07:14 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You did what I always wish I had... moved back. Maybe it's not too late...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-24-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Where did you move to?
Old 03-24-2007, 01:03 PM

Went out on the Skagit and got Skunked. However I did get to use my Spey rod again after not touching it for about a year. Right as I was starting to really get the hang of it, I lost it. Can't cast the thing 8/10 times. Not that I was any good before, but at least i'd get a decent cast most of the time. Oh well, the water was up a bit (I was wading in the grass) and I knew the fish were in close, so if I only casted 30-50' i'd just give it a good presentation anyways. I fished above Rockport and the water looked beautiful. A little high, but about 3' of vis. I hiked in and fished this massive boulder bar that I estimate is around 1/2 mile long total.

Didn't see another fisherman that day until I was hiking out, and even then the drift boat skipped over this water which is weird since it is a consistent producer of fish.

Got sprinkled on a bit in the morning, but barely. Wind never picked up, and overall it was a perfect day to be on the water.

A highlight of the day was my mile or so hike put me face to face with a calving cow. She was laying in the brush tucked away behind some trees only about 30 feet from the river. It was weird seeing a hoof sticking out of her.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Its never to late to get your butt back where it belongs. Now, load up the wife and kids get on back here so we can do some fishing together.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.