Eleuthera Summer - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Bonefish/Tarpon Flies Flats candy, mangrove magic

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller
Tight-lines
last year we stayed in N. Palmetto Point ocean side. house is called Tropical Impulse. Year before we stayed in Winding Bay. That house is called Point O' Vue.
both areas are very nice w/ some impressive rentals available. We liked last years rental better because it was on the surf beach w/ good snorkling right out front. Google "Eleuthera Rentals" and you'll find lots of great places to choose from.
thanks, will do
Doesn't look like Acklins is in the cards for me this year but I thought Eleuthra would be a good chance at some quality flats fishing and nice for the family.
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007, 11:18 AM
In moderation

Hey Joe
How are you?

Hi Lars
For really light, very strong hooks look at Gamakatsu SC15 or Daiichi x452.

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007, 01:24 PM
UnderstimulatedBoneJunkie

Send a message via MSN to kyhnau
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the tip.
I've realized that there are many alternatives to the Sea Prince im used to tie on.
Seems like I need to place a large trans-atlantic order in one of the fly-shops "over there". Everything costs about the half compared to here

-Lars
Old 11-14-2007, 02:00 PM
In moderation

There are some sources in Europe. If you need info send me a PM
Old 11-14-2007, 04:40 PM
UnderstimulatedBoneJunkie

Send a message via MSN to kyhnau
PM sent...
Help me save some money

-Lars
Old 03-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Cert. Amateur Bugslinger

Eleuthera...

What a beautiful island! Definitely the best beaches I've visited anywhere in the Bahamas. The fishing, at least for us, was mediocre at best, requiring long drives, perfect timing and general luck to get into enough fish to make it worthwhile.

Just to be clear, I'm definitely not the kind of guy that has to have big bonefish and lots of 'em to do it for me. But, even with inside info from previous visitors and good pointers from locals, we had a hell of a time scareing up fish, at least down south. Man, we put some miles on that rental jeep. We did find one pretty good flat, but got really hassled by the locals there and since the flat is a good walk from the nearest parking place, we were pretty sketched out about leaving anything valuable in it. That meant hauling our lunch in our packs or just going without since it was an easy 30-45 min drive back to the house.

Of course, we could have just hit it wrong; I'm willing to consider that. We did have pretty crappy weather all week - cloudy and windy - but even on the day it cleared up (our last day, of course) we only didn't find many fish, though the flats looked very promising. We finally ended up at our favorite flat (down the worst road in the world) and finally hit the tide right (last of the falling tide) and got several fish apiece in the last couple hours before dark.

So, good family vacation? Sure, you bet. Quality flats fishing? The jury's out. Just a word of advice. The more beautiful the beach, the less likely there'll be fish there, so mixing family playtime and fishing will be tough. You want mangroves, turtle grass, and signs of life. Generally we found this on the Atlantic (read: windy) side, though not always. Savanah Sound is pretty well known and well fished. Keep at it though, and you'll probably get a couple there. Palmetto Point is amazingly beautiful, but that stark white sand seems as lively as a desert. Further North are some protected bays, but more traffic. Hit the tide right and you can find bones mudding in some of these and if you're lucky they'll be close enough to shore for a cast.

We stayed in Tarpum Bay at a 2-bedroom house that cost us $80 US a night. It had AC and was right on the beach. Very nice. It was walking distance from the Tarpum Bay dock, where fresh-caught grouper was cheap, and the cracked conch at the local fish-fry was perfect. There's also a little market there with fresh fruit and veggies locally grown. This was a fairly central location, but it's a hell of a long island, so a drive north to the more tourist parts (restaurants, etc) was an hour easy.

Good luck and tight lines,
Bonehead

PS Make sure you have GOOD road map before you go. Not one of the lame tourist brouchure ones. Found this online: http://www.eleuthera-map.com/ with link to satelite pics and road maps... wish I'd had this 5 years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.