Native Watercraft (Ulitimate) - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2007, 05:04 PM
LBFF Mojo

Well in a word I 'love' mine.

Pros:

Decently fast for its design and the integrated skeg does a great job of keeping you on track for longer paddles. Obviously not as fast as a true kayak but does the job plenty well for me. I am usually going with the tide as well so no big deal.

- Storage: I can bring 3 rods , a cooler, tons of flies, a few plug bags and a bunch of dry clothes in case I fall off

- Stability: Once you get used to the feel and trust that it aint going to flip standing in it is quite comfortable. I routinely anchor up and stand for long periods of time. This is important to me as fly fishing sitting down in a kayak in a pain in the arse. I really dislike it and it makes good presetations difficult. Being able to stand up (and even land fish while standing or getting down on your knees) is the major selling point for me. Also great with my 4 year old up front.

- Weight: It is only 50 pounds with the seat in so it is no big deal to sling it on your shoulder and walk a little ways with it.

Cons:

- It does hold water and has no scuppers. You need to have a pump on board and I keep a super absorbant sponge in the bottom at all times to collect the water that gets in when you get in and out of the boat.

- Probably not a open ocean boat. Since it does collect water I would stay away from any situation where ocean spray would be a concern.

Overall I give it high marks. It does everything they say it will and one of the best fishing platforms there is. Yeah you cannot really do open ocean stuff but it does do fine anywhere in the naragansett bay. It has already gotten me into to places where I knew there were large fish but could never reach them from shore. Plus standing up rocks. I can also crawl to the front of the boat to get gear or turn around grab stuff behind me with ease. I have never not felt safe in the boat. Seeing I use it only at night that is a major plus.

I bought the spray skirts that come with it but have not found them that useful. All they really is rob you of storage space and are not really necessary IMHO.

Would be great in the CC bay as well. Hope to get it out to brewster soon. Next purchase for it will be a flats pole.

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2007, 01:35 PM

Sean...I read your review of the Native Watercraft with interest. Still looking for the right vessel...have eliminated (for me) the sit on top).
Questions:
1. just how wet is the NW.....are we talking constant splash inside?
2. How does it handle wakes from passing boats? Get water in if a medium wake comes?
My use would be in protected areas (not open seas)....but I don't want to have to bail out in wakes or 1 -2 ft seas.
Much appreciated.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.