Caswell Cove Dredging - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2007, 12:46 AM
Secret:Time on the water

Caswell Cove Dredging

Just wanted to post a quick note hear as I have not heard anything on this board about this issue. There is currently a project underway to dredge the Caswell Cove Marina basin in Milford CT. which sits on the Housatonic River just north of I-95. They are dredging it out and then tug boating the spoils north upriver to a deep hole in the Shelton stretch of the river. This very same section of river has been holding a very large population of hold over Striped Bass for many years. They were originally going to dump in a nearby depression but when a bunch of fishermen complained they relented and moved the operation a short distance from the original location. The spoils from this project are known to contain high levels of heavy metals contrary to what DEP officials will want you to believe the worst of them mercury and TCE. They stated that the spoils were tested and that they contained less contamination then the sediment in the dump location.........HUH! They also stated there would be an environmental benefit by capping the contaminated sediment at the dump site. How is it going to be a benefit to cap contaminated sediment with more contaminated sediment. Rep. & Speaker of the House in CT. James Amann lives in Caswell Cove need I say more? This never went out for public comment and was never widely disseminated to the public before commencing. The Mayor of Shelton never even knew this was happening and when he heard about it he wasn't very pleased. I have sent letters off to the Governor, Amann, Rosa DeLauro, and WTNH Channel 8 here in CT. I have heard only from the Governors office and they said it was being forwarded to the DEP Commissioner and that she would have to personally reply to me about it. They said if I didn't here from them in 2 weeks to call back. Well we don't have 2 weeks as they are already dumping. I replied with my disapproval of this buck passing and hopefully I will here back. There is a meeting in Shelton on Friday the 23rd. at 1:00 pm. and I would hope anyone who can budget the time please show up to voice your opinion on this insane, misguided, and harmful project.
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Related article

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news....d=590581&rfi=6
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 11:59 AM

Juro,
Yes the papers have done a few stories on this but they have given it pitifully little exposure and it has been buried in the backs of every papers newsstand copy. We will see what comes of the meeting this Friday.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper
Juro,
Yes the papers have done a few stories on this but they have given it pitifully little exposure and it has been buried in the backs of every papers newsstand copy. We will see what comes of the meeting this Friday.
Mike-

I've been following the developments over on ctfisherman, and am as disturbed as you are at how all of this came to fruition. Please keep us in the loop over here with any new developments, and if you are able to make the meeting on Friday please let us know how it goes.

From the looks of it, I'll be doing my spring river fishing in the Connecticut and Thames this year, not the Housatonic.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:20 PM

Mark,
I just received an email from a guy who lives in Stratford and is active in that community. He contacted Dan Debicella who is the Senator from Shelton about this and he was insensed about the whole matter. It sounds like he is campaigning for an injunction to the project to further study a better dumping site for the dredge spoils. This is awesome news and i couldn't be happier about it. I am going to take a wait and see approach till I see an absolute proclamation that it has been halted.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Fly chucker

That sounds encouraging, Mike. Thanks for sharing.

That stretch of the Housy has been barren of fish since the dredging and dumping began. I hope it can recover fairly soon after the project is halted and/or finished.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.