Carry on gear to Acklins - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 07:13 AM

Carry on gear to Acklins

My group of three is headed to Acklins 4/3, returning 4/9. We're flying Air Bahamas out of Ft Lauderdale on the way down, and Pine Apple Air back. We are planning on carrying on everything except a small gear bag with the sharp pointy things we cannot carry on. But, my son's new rod is a 2 piece and I'm wondering whether we will be allowed to carry it on. Has anyone recently either carried on a 2 piece rod, or seen others do so in route to/from Nassau?

We'll be staying at Felton Rolle's place (Delectible Bay?) and should have a vehicle. If any other Forum members will be there that same week and need a lift, we'll be happy to make room as we wander the island.

FYI- I buddy has a house on Crooked and reports that the flights to from Nassau to Crooked/Acklins are pretty bad about forgetting to load or unload bags at the proper destination. It's the Bahamas Mon. He recommends that if bags must be checked, then watch to see that they actually make it on the plane and back off where they are supposed to be. He also suggests putting a LARGE printed label reflecting your name, destination and the name of the place you're staying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2007, 07:32 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
I have no experience on Pineapple Air, but in regard to Bahamasair, two-piece rods will end up in the cargo hold. Four-piece rods can be carried on, based on our experience.

While there is no guarantee that your luggage will arrive when you arrive, I would suggest that you personally observe destination tags are attached to your checked luggage. I noticed that my luggage also had a priority tag also attached. Everything arrived at Acklins and later to Nassau.

Good luck
Old 03-12-2007, 08:04 AM

I have had problems with my luggage arriving on outter islands flights. Normally when the flight is full and your luggage is bumped in preference for the various coolers and boxes that seem to get loaded. Normally turns up the next day though this would not be an option for the flight schedule to Acklins
I have been successful in carring on 2 piece rods.
As mentioned previously I would advise that you try and watch your luggage being loaded or peer in the back of the plane to check that it is there. If the plane stops off also try and keep an eyeout for it being off-loaded. Good luck !
Old 03-12-2007, 08:16 AM

Yep, the guys are right. It's about 50/50 that the two peice rods will get there. You may have the ability to watch as they load the plane but at each stop they add and pull luggage off so you have to keep an eye out at all times.

Don't put all your flies in one checked bag. Each guy should check a small bag with their portion of the flies. If one gets lost it's not a big deal. Security is less stringant as you approach the out islands so you'll probably be able to sneak a small fly box in one of your carry-ons.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:23 AM

DOH!
I didn't think about flies being put in the same category as toenail clippers and other weapons of mass destruction. Am I correct to assume that flies will also have to be in checked bagggage?
Has anyone had any success Fed Exing a small package to themslves at the hotel in Nassau? I'm thinking of sending myself a box of flies and a pocket knife, just in case.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Good advice from all.
Pineapple air did let me take my 3 piece rods on the plane just two weeks ago. They seem to be pretty well organized and doing a good job so far. I have the sage double rod/reel case that can accomodate two 3 piece 10' rods. On my way home bahamasair asked me to let them put that same 3 piece holder in the cargo hold, even though I have taken it on bahamasair flights before. I wasn't as apprehensive since I was going home.

The flight from Nassau goes to Acklins first. As you deplane, stay as close as you can to the airplane on Acklins and watch as they unload. If you don't see yours, alert someone to this fact. If they do miss yours, they will unload it at Crooked island. You can make arrangements with a local contact on Acklins to have your bag delivered to Lovely bay on the daily ferry--runs 2x a day--am and late afternoon. So with any luck, you may have your bag by the evening.

the real problem will arise if your bag doesn't make it to Nassau before you are scheduled to leave for Acklins or Crooked on saturday or wednesdy am. That's why I often wear my flats shoes from my starting point at least until I get to Nassau. It's a long few days wading the flats without good boots.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the info. Also heading for Acklins on 18 April for the week. Will attempt to be vigilant about seeing the baggage getting on and off the plane. I usually carry all my flies in a backpack as carryon. I hope that can be done here also. I never thought about wearing the flats boots ahead of time - could be a good idea, even if strange looking.
I will have only four piece rods (7,8,9), so plan to take those on board. And reels, of course.
Thanks. GMflyfish
Old 03-12-2007, 08:47 PM

GMFlyfish, How do you carry on your rods? Do you just keep them in a tube or do you have a special bag?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 PM

Hi JTWG.
I've made rod bags for the rods I have, and then have made PVC plastic tubes cut to just the right length. The plastic tubeing I use is two inch vacuum tubing, which is thinner wall than plumbing PVC - lighter, but less strong. It is for residential vacuum systems. Comes in 8 foot lengths. They make end caps for the stuff that just fit on by friction. I carry a good sized daypack (backpack) as carryon, and the rods fit along the side of the pack. Let me know if you want more details. The shorter rod tubes (and being plastic) are easier to get through airport security than longer tubes. I've had trouble in the past with my long aluminum tubes.
Thanks.
GMflyfish
Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 PM

Thanks. What about if i have an orvis backpack that has two rod holders on the sides. Do you think there would be a problem strapping two 4 piece rods in the manufacturers tubes onto the sides and taking that as a carry on?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:13 PM

Hi JTWG,
My guess (and only a guess), is that you would be OK with two short tubes on the side of your backpack. And the Orvis tubes are cloth/cardboard, not that dangerous aluminum. However, I have not been into or out of Nassau before, so what happens there could be different, and negative. I certainly plan to try to keep the rods with me at all times.
Are you going to Acklins Island perhaps? Or just curious about the airlines and fishing rods?
Thanks. GMflyfish
Old 03-14-2007, 04:47 PM

Headed to Grand Bahamas in June. Just wondering how I'm going to do this. I'm travelling with another guy, so we may split it up and he may carry a rod holder (thinking about splitting an Abel holder) and I would take the reels and the flies. That way if we had to check the rods, at least they would be safe.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 PM

Spoff4,

Nassau security has been my problem point trying to carry flys on board, so shipping them to yourself in Nassau won't help get them from Nassau to Acklins. I've never had a problem carrying them on leaving Montana, but tried twice in Nassau going to Acklins and had to check my carry on bag both times. Since my first two failures I have put my flys in my checked luggage. Has anyone ever tried sticking a handful of key flies in their hat/hat band as "decoration" going through security? I think I will try it next time.

Just back from 10 days in Acklins then 10 days in Eleuthera. I wound up carrying on a 2 piece 7'6" spinning rod taped to the outside of my 4 piece/4rod carrying case from Acklins to Nassau, then Nassau to Eleuthera, and then back to Montana (orginally it was in a large rod case in a friend's checked luggage going to Acklins). It was longer than my rod case and would not fit in any overhead bins or under the seat, but I had no problems - I just carried it on and handed it to the flight attendant on each flight and they stowed it in a closet at the front of the plane. However, I wouldn't recommend trying this on a regular basis! Seems like anyone traveling on a regular basis for fishing trips should invest in at least one 4 piece rod to carry on. Sooner or later checked luggage isn't going to make it when it should and the cost of an extra rod compared to the lost fishing time and money invested in the trip would be well worth it!

We noticed that on every flight we took, Nassau to Acklins, Acklins to Nassau, Nassau to Eleuthera, there was more baggage than was finally allowed on the plane. Each flight the captain or co-captain would be out arguing with the baggage handlers about weight, and some baggage would not be put on the plane. However all of our bags were marked with a red "priority" tag, and it all made it to our destination. I don't know why it was marked as such, but I will definitely watch (and ask if needed) to get my baggage marked as such on future trips.

We have also been told, and it seems to make sense, that checking into flights early seems to give higher odds of checked baggage making it onto the plane in the Bahamas.

Don't forget that checked baggage is limited to 44lbs TOTAL (not per bag) in the Bahamas, although they seem to give some latitude for international travelers on their first leg in the Bahamas. If you are traveling as a group, check in together - they will weigh all of your baggage together and average the weight.

The flight to Acklins/Crooked doesn't always stop at Acklins first. In fact it stopped at Crooked first coming and going this trip for me. But Vince is right - watch as close as you can when they unload at each stop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.