Snake River TR (Sorry, no pics) - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Satisfied

Snake River TR (Sorry, no pics)

As usual, I forgot my camera today.

I hit the Snake (close to Jackson), and had good success. Only fished for a hour or so around noon but it was on! After pulling in 3 Whities, dredging the usual fair, I managed two 12-14 Cutts that were very healthy!

Good fishing to you. I'll bring pics back next time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2007, 10:59 AM

That sounds like a good time to me!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:49 AM

Picking Up

Fishing is starting to pick up down here as well. Some friends and I hit Spinney last weekend for some early spring midge fishing. It was around 20 F in the morning with a leader straightening wind. No one had much luck until the wind died and the midge hatch came off. Pretty good catching from about 10-2 and then things slowed down. Fish were starting to show some color, one older fish looked to be in full spawning color already. No pics this time around for me either.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:09 PM

Brad, are you talking about in the dream stream?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:35 AM

Dream stream

Yep that is where we fish. Keep an eye on the flows, if they bump up you should start to see fish moving into the river from 11-mile.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Satisfied

How are the crowds on the DS this time of year? My only experiences have been in the heart of the spawn...not really by choice, I'm just in CO at that time of year for a week or so. The few times I have been there it has been a total junk-show! People everywhere!!! 100's of them!! Combat fishing at it's best. I'd love to hit it w/out the crowds!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippin_Lips
How are the crowds on the DS this time of year? My only experiences have been in the heart of the spawn...not really by choice, I'm just in CO at that time of year for a week or so. The few times I have been there it has been a total junk-show! People everywhere!!! 100's of them!! Combat fishing at it's best. I'd love to hit it w/out the crowds!

Combat fishing, that is a good name to call it. I fish that strech about 2 times a year, if I can get out there on a week day. I hate fishing crowded water. There are way too many arrogant and rude people out there. I have a short temper when some jerk decides that he will jump into the hole where I'm fishing with me or walks right threw the area where I'm casting. A lot of the people out there have no respect for others.

Then you get the guides who come along with their client who think that you are in their hole and never mind that you are catching fish, you should fish it a little and move on. I have never seen a guide and their client move on when they are catching fish unless they are in a raft in a different river. Most of the time, someone else is in the next hole, where do you move too. I avoid it for the most part. The big fish aren't worth putting up with the crowd out there. Sorry, didn't mean to rant.

Brad, Do you get Bill Edrington's news letter? He had mentioned in the last one that the spawn was starting and the crowds were heavy. When I read those public post from him and see it in the newspaper I imagine that the amount of people there must double.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Satisfied

CC,
I fishined a section of water that flowed out(?) of 11 Mile res a couple years ago. Roughly 15 miles from the DS. We walked in across the flats for about 2 miles and fished the res and the outlet. The fishing was excellent! Not quite the size of some of the hogs in the DS but only saw 1 other person and caught plenty of Bows in the 14 - 18 range with a couple around 20".

Good diversion from the Combat fishing of the dream stream!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:44 PM

Sounds like you must have walked up to the res from in the canyon. I'll have to check that out. I know they don't allow anyone by the dam but I'd imagine if you can walk around it, there must be some awesome fishing in the res because coming from the lake side, you can only get there by boat and they have access blocked off a ways away from the dam. Thanks for sharing that one. I'll check that out. The canyon gets crowded too especially when you get close to the dam. The last 4 miles I believe it is, is all catch and release, flies and lures only. There are some nice fish in there too.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:44 PM

We went on Saturday and had the place to ourselves except for 2-3 other parties. Winter is always the best time to fish to miss the crowds but you have to be ready to accept the skunk. In high season it can get crowded on weekends, during the week is much better. That river has so many fish that there really is no reason to crowd or get crowded. Move to another spot and look for risers. If the lots are crowded go try 11-mile canyon or one of the lakes. The key for me has been the flow and the wind. When the flows are up and the wind is down the fishing is good. I do not worry about seeing others when fishing to big fish that are rising, I am focused on the fishing. Unfortunately the front range is very crowded, I would love to move to WY or MT, maybe when I retire. I am in my big fish stage and realize that unless you have private access you will probably see other people when looking for good fish.

CC try this next time you get crowded by a guide. I have moved for guides several times and it has paid dividends many times over. Tell him what the fish are eating, introduce yourself, give him your card and make sure to remember his name and shop. Making friends with a guide is priceless for intel on flies, secret guide spots, fishing reports( not the crap in the general public posts or newsletters) and best of all access to trips at or near cost.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Satisfied

CC,
I need to correct myself....I walked into SPINNEY not 11 Mile. There are a few public access pullouts about 10-15 miles NE of the DS off of Pulver RD. The outlet is roughly 2 miles from the pullout we parked at. Flat walk. We fished a bit on the river on our way to the outlet......not worth it.
The res has great fishing but the outlet is where it was the most productive. The first 1/4 mile is the best holding water.
A local guide tipped us off to this location. It's definitely not a secret...people drive by it all the time and anyone with 2 eyes can see it on a map. It probably gets less pressure because of the walk and the fact that the "Dream Stream" is only a short drive up the road.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
We went on Saturday and had the place to ourselves except for 2-3 other parties. Winter is always the best time to fish to miss the crowds but you have to be ready to accept the skunk. In high season it can get crowded on weekends, during the week is much better. That river has so many fish that there really is no reason to crowd or get crowded. Move to another spot and look for risers. If the lots are crowded go try 11-mile canyon or one of the lakes. The key for me has been the flow and the wind. When the flows are up and the wind is down the fishing is good. I do not worry about seeing others when fishing to big fish that are rising, I am focused on the fishing. Unfortunately the front range is very crowded, I would love to move to WY or MT, maybe when I retire. I am in my big fish stage and realize that unless you have private access you will probably see other people when looking for good fish.

CC try this next time you get crowded by a guide. I have moved for guides several times and it has paid dividends many times over. Tell him what the fish are eating, introduce yourself, give him your card and make sure to remember his name and shop. Making friends with a guide is priceless for intel on flies, secret guide spots, fishing reports( not the crap in the general public posts or newsletters) and best of all access to trips at or near cost.

Brad, after reading your post, my first thought was; Who does he guide for? *LOL*

I went to the dream stream today with a few friends. I was coooold this morning and had ice in the guides all day long. I caught one nice rainbow, about 17 inches and 15 - 20 rainbows and browns that ranged from 4 - 11 inches on a 24 parachute adams in the second pool below the bridge. There was a nice midge hatch that seemed to last most of the afternoon. I only saw two other groups of people catch some fish. Most of the people I talked to got skunked. It was slow in the morning with a lot of ice in the river. I'll post a picture when I get a chance to resize it on my computer at work.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:28 AM

CC that sounds pretty much like the experience that we had. I caught all but 3 up top with griffths gnats. We walked until we found bigger fish though, ended up at the barns. With the warm weather predicted this week the fishing will great. Prrobably head out someplace this weekend.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:29 PM

Here is my trout from Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	030407 (Small).JPG
Views:	60
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	6318  
Old 03-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Satisfied

Good Work!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.