Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 08:53 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Low profile, Please !!

K... Bugman and all.

How and with what??

A..

Last edited by QuebecSporting; 03-09-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2007, 06:53 AM

How ?Digital camera on multi-shot feature.
With what?? Canon 200 or Nikon D80 with polarizing filter
Old 03-10-2007, 02:45 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
K..salar1,
I guess that would be one option to consider..

My first worry - my shadow on the pool)...
Then, I guess a very long and light tippet...
a gentle discreet cast with a tiny Bomber ...
and )_(*&?%$/$%?&*()_ HELP!!!!

Thanks again for the coffee in MTL....

Ann
Old 03-11-2007, 03:22 PM

Thanks Ann! That photo brings back many good memories of a beautiful September trip ...

This being said, I think Salar-1 had it right ... the only way to catch these fish was with a camera!

This pod had been fished over on a daily basis for about 3 months. They were VERY spooky.

When I started casting to the near edge of the pod, my drift was about five feet short. No problem, I stripped out a few feet more line, cast, and came up short again. Over a series of casts, I pushed the pod up tight against the far bank. They refused to let a fly line get anywhere near them. Jammed up against the other side, they started milling around and coming out of the water - clearly agitated.

I gave up for the moment, let them rest and walked away from the shoreline. Over the next fifteen minutes, the pod drifted back to the middle of the pool.

On my next approach, I walked slowly to the water's edge without a rod. I stood dead still, doing my best tree stump imitation, and watched as the pod slowly moved away from me to the depths on the far side.

It was clear that these fish had figured out the link between the weird animal standing on the shore and the sequence of colourful but nasty things that were floating over their pool.

The exact same thing had happened to me on Spruin Rock Pool on the previous day. It was late September, and rumor had it that a number of people had been fishing these (very slow) pools with #2 doubles. Bringing their flies through the pod 'low and slow', these 'anglers' had been hooking fish in the back.

How would I fish them? I'd dig a subterranean tunnel to the water's edge, then open up a hole to the surface just large enough to allow my rod tip and a viewing periscope to pass through. Using a 30 foot 8X leader, I'd throw a #22 Gaspe Bomber above the pod.

Or I'd take their pictures.

Low water fishing in September - you see the fish and they see you. Still, it's a lot of fun to be sharing a pool with several hundred visible fish. Well worth the price of admission!

Jim Corrigan

Last edited by Bugman; 03-11-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:13 AM

The exact same thing had happened to me on Spruin Rock Pool on the previous day. It was late September, and rumor had it that a number of people had been fishing these (very slow) pools with #2 doubles. Bringing their flies through the pod 'low and slow', these 'anglers' had been hooking fish in the back.

When I was on the York late last Sept, there were indeed a couple of guys from NY. They were obnoxious as hell (some seriously bad attitudes), and the one time they did fish the same pool as us, they were using heavy sinktips and weighted flies.

I did foul hook one fish last fall in Offie, using a #10 light wire - felt a bump while stripping, set the hook, and unfortunately got the hen under a pectoral fin. Fishing the Home pool, my buddy hooked a big one in the tail - it breached and landed the microsecond his bomber hit the water. Both fish were landed landed and undecorated asap of course. It does sometimes happen when the fish are packed up like that in lower flows, but actually trying to hook them that way?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Flats Rat

Those fish look like they are swimming in a circle - spooked or is it an Illusion?
  • A very long leader
  • Keeping your shadow off the water.
  • A very stealthy approach (barefoot?) to within casting range
  • Cast from downstream and try to let the rear fish see just the fly.

Small dry fly or nymph maybe?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:58 PM

A quote from Fontinalis:

"It does sometimes happen when the fish are packed up like that in lower flows, but actually trying to hook them that way?"

HMMM ... this is a delicate point.

A couple of friends were fishing these rivers during the same time period that this photo was taken. They were not very experienced at fishing for Atlantic salmon and fished some large flies in some very slow water. They snagged several fish and were embarrassed and distressed at foul hooking them!

On the other hand, I once helped an 'angler' land a fish that he had hooked just behind the adipose fin (on a different trip). This guy asked me to take a photo of 'his fish,' then continued to fish the (very slow) pool in exactly the same manner that had yielded the snagged fish. I saw him 'hook' several more fish through the day. Coincidentally ( ), all of these other fish 'got off.' The angler was not reluctant to tell me that he had 'hooked and lost' about six fish while fishing the pool 'low and slow.'

Did he know what he was doing? Was he totally ignorant of the fact that his 'technique' was no more than snagging fish out of the pod? The guy was well-equipped and he DID want a photo of his 'trophy,' so it was hard to believe that he was ignorant of the effect of his technique. However, he was not afraid to disclose that he'd had a fine day 'hooking' fish.

If I'd snagged a fish, I'd be apologizing to anybody that saw it.

As for the fish, they were terrified by a fly line after this pool 'coverage.' I fished over them later in the day with a dry fly. Fish were charging about and coming out of the water if my fly line landed anywhere near them.

Deliberate? Very stupid?? I really don't know ...

Quote from Adrian:

"Those fish look like they are swimming in a circle - spooked or is it an Illusion?"

No illusion - nice eyes! The majority of the fish were sitting in the pod, facing upstream, and not circling. However, the whole pod would move around the pool in unison - usually to create the maximum distance between themselves and the angler.

However, there were some 'satellite' fish that would be peeling off the pod and circling around. Usually they would come back into the back of the pod.

So you are right on both counts! The back of the pod was a 'jostle spot.' Fish that had peeled out of the pod or jumped out of the water were circling back to the mass. And were they spooked by my presence? ABSOLUTELY!

It was quite a day! I didn't touch a fish, yet I consider it to be one of my best days on the water.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.