Grand Bahamas wading or yak - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 04:25 PM

Grand Bahamas wading or yak

Hello, does anyone know of "areas" in Grand Bahamas that you could wade for bonefish? Is it best to just rent a car and explore? would there be any opportunities on the east end east of Freeport?

Also, does anyone know where you could rent a kayak and fish for a half day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2007, 11:15 PM

get a guide, any guide at this point.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the tip. I have, but have a half day open and was thinking of trying some fishing on my own.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 AM

Did a DIY last year on GBI

I took a day off last year and did a DIY drive around the West End. That whole part of GBI was blown away from the last storm. The areas that would have been perfect were totaly gone. No mangroves or sand flats, just hard bottom. Did get a few nice fish to chew but with the bottom being nothing but rock, they cut the leader every time. The East was spared so consequentley it is getting a lot more pressure. The easy fish of a few years ago have now graduated like Islamorada Bones. Very picky and spooky. The only kayaks I know of to rent are at the Lucayan beach and I do not believe they will let you take them away from the area. Worth a try though.
I am giving GBI a break this year and heading down to Eleuthera. Will be doing a mothership and kayaks. Should be interesting and will give a report when I get back.
Good luck on your trip.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:27 PM

BB,

Do not discount the West End - the rocky bottom that you describe was in place long before the Hurricanes - thats just the natural composition of that area. The good news is that crabs looooove the rocks and that brings in lots of of big fat ocean bones. Next time you are down (I would go fast since once the new development is finished on that end of the Island the fishing will resemble Bimini's)try going with a 16 pound leader and keep that rod tip high - you will be surprised at the number of Bones that you land.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.