Backing for a Danielsson 6nine - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 05:48 AM

Backing for a Danielsson 6nine

Any recommendations on backing for a new Danielsson 6nine? Ideally, I would like about 200 yards of backing. Is gel spun (35 lb?) the only way to go? Some say the reel only holds 120-150 yards of 20 lb dacron while the Danielsson site claims 240 yards of 20#, though this may be with gel spun. Think I would prefer dacron, perhaps Scientific Anglers 20#, which I hear has a smaller diameter than the others. But if necessary, gel spun is okay and I'll try to keep my fingers out of harm's way. Reel would be fished with an 8 wt line mostly for bonefish down south but also stripers and steelhead up north. Recommendations from folks who fish with the reel or are otherwise familiar with it? Thank you! Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Flats Rat

150 Yards is a fair bit of backing unless you are targetting big 'poons, tunoids and billfish? On some of my reels I have a combination of dacron on top of of gelspun which gives the best of both worlds and a lot of capacity when that fish of a lifetime shows up. I use bimini's with a lot of twists to join the two backing materials. By the way, you don't have to stick with 35lb gelspun - there are a lot of alternatives these days. Compare the diameters of 50, 60, 70lb....... A 30% saving in diameter will get you to your 200 yards with a "friendlier" feel.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have 50# gelpsun on both of mine (one old loop, one new danielsson both same). Miles of it, not even sure how many yards but more than I need.

It's thicker than the 30# gelspun obviously but you get more than dacron. I don't find it to be a problem with the fingers and I do indeed see my fair share of backing because of the species I target on it (stripers, bonefish, tarpon, steelhead, salmon, etc)

The large arbor definitely makes it less stressful when your fly line is in the next time zone ala big fish run. Cranks that thin stuff much better than conventional spool designs.

**** did you know they still make the 8eleven? ****
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Flats Rat

As Spock would say "Intriguing captain"

I'll be interested to compare the 8eleven with the 8twelve up close at the clave.

When it comes to backing, I think things have changed dramatically in the gelspun department over the past couple of years. I remember some of the earlier stuff seemed to have an almost 'abrasive' quality. The sound it made going through the guides when a good fish made for the horizon was reminiscent of a teak log going through a sawmill

The newer stuff like power-pro seems a lot friendlier, especially in the larger diameters.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Not sure which brand I have but it's bright yellow in color and not at all abrasive. In fact it's hard to tell it's not dacron other than the diameter and stiffness.

I have never given a thought to the way it packs onto the spool, it has been waaaay out there and never bites into itself.

Those tarpon I battled in PR were on the 6nine. A little bit of an 'ultralight' match-up for sure but while everything else gave out (hooks, leaders, etc) the reel was just fine.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-14-2007, 06:14 AM

what knot...

...do you use to attach the 50# gelspun to the fly line? is it sufficient to do a bimini twist in the gelspun and then use an albright, or will it still slice through the flyline or otherwise fail? so much conflicting info out there on this subject that it's hard to know what to do. Thank you again for your helpful posts, and loved the PR pix. Rich
Old 03-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Flats Rat

I use a bimini but make up to thirty turns. I've not had a problem with cutting on modern flyline cores.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:46 PM

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/s...0&postcount=19

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/s...8&postcount=18

attaching GSP to Dacron or fly line core

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.