Sage Z Axis 5wt or 6wt ??? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Satisfied

Sage Z Axis 5wt or 6wt ???

Anyone waved the new Z Axis 5wts or 6wts around? Interesting differences from the XP! The 5wt seems like it could be an all around trout rod that could handle short casts as well as 80 footers. ???

Who's got some feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 12:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
i like the Z but i dont know if i have a place for it in my stash of rods. It is a good rod and has much more sensitivity than the XP. For my trout fishing though i prefer the SLT or my old SP and when i go to salt I fish my Xi2.
Its a good rod but i;d be suprised if i ever owned one.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:10 PM

I kind of agree. This is a rod that could do everything well, but maybe they lost a little "sweetness" in trying to achieve that. It seems like a cross between the TCR and the XP. Maybe the SLT and the XP were too close together and they wanted a wider spread between the Axis and the SLT (which no doubt is marked be redesigned/replaced/"improved" this year or next).
Old 03-09-2007, 08:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
Gotta disagree with you a little bit eddie... IMO The SLT and XP were pretty far apart and they wanted to bridge that gap. They axed the XP and they added a little sensitivity and took some of the backbone out and came up with the Z Axis. This is going to be a good all around rod for most people I think, i probably wont use one, mainly because i am a gear whore and have too many rods(is that possible?) as it is... If people want 1 rod that can do a lot for them the Z is a good choice. In the trout weights it has enough umph to nymph or throw buggers but also enough sensitivity to throw dries. And in the 8wt range it is a good rod for throwing tips but it doesnt lack the sensitivity like the XP.

The SLT is going to go here shortly i would imagine. Its too bad because it is a great dry line rod but does not have the power to throw tips like an XP had. We have 5 or 6 of them in 7s and 8s for atlantic salmon. the 890-4SLT is my favorite rod to fish.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:53 PM

I cast one (9' 5Wt) today while standing in knee deep snow, it seemed like a good rod. However I did not attach fly. The real test will come when we hook a heavy streamer up & try to launch it over the horizon My friend owns the fly shop and said we would take the Demo rod out soon as the trout season starts up full swing. Stay tuned when the ice is out
Old 03-18-2007, 05:04 PM

I own and enjoy fishing Sage XP rods from 2wt through 9wt,,,,the Z-Axis I have cast from 3wt to 6wt,,,,the Z-Axis is softer and slightly lighter in swing weight.

I will not be trading any of my XP rods for the softer Z-Axis. Sage should have dropped the SLT and kept the XP in production.

If I wanted an all around 5wt in the Z-Axis,,,I would buy the 690-4 and use a 5wt line on the rod, it is that much different.

Regards,
FK
Old 03-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

i have xp's and have cast the z rods and really like them. the z is very smooth and throws line very well with ease, go out and try one i think you will like them
Old 03-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Satisfied

Got to wave a 6wt around this weekend. Good rod! I'm not much of a Sage guy but the 6wt sold me! I had been toying around with picking one of these up....made the decision to go for it.
the Z's are MUCH different than any other Sage fast action rod I have cast. I agree that they are a bit smoother, lighter, and more forgiving. The few times I've fished an XP I felt the need to tip cast.....the Z axis rod seemed to handle all casts I could throw at it.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:14 PM

I haven't casted a Z yet. I bought a chance on a raffel for one. I'll let you know if I win. I guess I haven't really got into Sage Rods. I don't care for either of the shops in town that carries the sage line. I hear that they are casting machines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.