making a trip - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 01:04 PM

making a trip

So, I will making a trip out to Chatham the second weekend in June. I have a guide booked for that Monday but I was hoping that someone could point me towards some places to fish on Saturday and Sunday. I'm heading out to Chatham with the wife so the fishing will be limited to early morning and evening for a couple hours each day . If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate the help.

I'm really excited about the trip b/c it will be the first weekend that I will really be able to get away since I started going back to school for my master's degree (3.5 years of part-time schooling in total). I finish the 3rd week of May and can't wait to head out for a real fishing trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You've got highs early and late and limited time so I would focus on accessible areas like the lighthouse beach and the bowls to the south for surf action, surf quiets down at the top of the tide.

If you have a car spend some time on the Nantucket Sound side with those tides. Any of the river mouths and inlets (Bass, Herring, Red, etc) should have fish working bait. The sound shoreline stays active into June when you have limited time to search. Go at dawn and keep moving along the beaches and small jetties. I would drive to the west and work east back to take the lady to breakfast. Boy scout credits for the next day.

Up inside Pleasant Bay is another good bet.

Bayside is very good in June but at high tide there is a lot of searching per hookup because the fish are free to roam about the country with all that water. Time is a factor when you are limited to off hour shots.

Another approach is to take a beach basket on the Rip Ryder and invite her to a day on the refuge. Pick a spot where the mid-day tide change will bring fish passing by and act surprised when the pod comes by the spot you coincidentally picked. Bring some grapes and give her the Cleopatra treatment between pods

Good luck.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-08-2007, 10:22 AM

Thanks.

I have never fished monomoy before so I have a trip planned with a guide for that monday so I won't be stumbling around the next time I get a chace to get out there.

For Saturday and Sunday, I was looking for some places to kill a couple hours casting some flies just to get into the groove for my trip on monday.

Thanks for the advice. I will be staying at the highlander in chatham so if anyone knows any good places in close proximity to that place I would appreciate the insight as I don't know the area at all.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:40 PM

Well I admire your drive but Monomoy is not the kind of place you fish casually mornings and evenings, unless you consider the Refuge on Morris Island which is actually perfect for that since it's accessible after hours.

The day you go with a guide you will be really working Monomoy, but other days with that tide as it is you would be better off looking elsewhere seeing as you have a couple hours at dawn and possibly dusk when the 'boss' will let you loose.

Again if the migration is not too early the river mouths around Nantucket Sound (Chatham to Dennis for instance) will be great with a dawn high, find the bait and find the fish.

If you get a very flat calm morning then the bayside flats can be fished by the wakes, tails and pushes of fish as well. I would recommend working the many beach accesses in Brewster off 6A in that case (FAC wind). But if there is a lot of wind, chop then you are blind casting in the results of a 10 foot flood and there are better ways to spend your sparse times before shopping and miniature golf.

Up inside Pleasant Bay will likely fish well but spots like Minister's fish better when the tide is changing but fishing is fishing and you never know when you are going to walk right into a cow blitz.

If I had a few short hours I would work the sound shoreline at dawn if the wind is north, the bayside beach accesses if the wind is south, and the lighthouse beach down to south beach no matter what the wind is doing the other morning of the two.

In any case good luck to you, enjoy my 'home waters'. You'll be back!
Old 03-09-2007, 08:50 AM

my trip

Juro, I guess I wasn't very clear in my story. I don't want to go to monomoy without having been there with a guide (or someone that knows the place) first. That is why I have a guide trip planned for that monday. I have no intention of trying to go out there on Saturday or Sunday as I realize that it is a day-trip destination. I'm thinking that after that monday guided trip I might feel better about heading out there for a free saturday or sunday when I get them in the future b/c I'll have had the grand tour so to speak.

I am looking to do exactly as you are saying, spend the mornings or evenings if I can get them, fishing some spots on the ocean side or bay side of the cape. I have fished the Bass River area before so i know that area a bit but was looking for some other places that might be closer to where I will be staying. Your suggestion of Pleasant bay sounds good and I might try the beaches one day too.

Thanks for all of the information, I really appreciate the help. Now hopefully, I can take that info and put it to good use.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:34 AM

Are you going with a wading guide or a boat guide? As a wading guide myself, I feel that what you learn will be much more applicable to return trips on your own. Granted you might have a more productive search that day with a boat in certain conditions though. It learn verses catch rate IMHO.

If you are returning too much later then you can expect to re-use the HOW but not necessarily the WHERE because things change with shifting structure, temperature, bait and feeding habits, diurnal tides, season, etc.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:57 PM

guide trip

I'll actually be using a wading guide for my trip out. Then I'm hoping to be able to get out a couple more times this summer and then get out a bunch in the fall too.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:26 PM

Cool!

Should be a very interesting season with the land bridge and all...
Old 03-12-2007, 09:25 AM

Thanks

Thanks for all of your input, the opinions of the local experts are always welcome and when they feel free to share usefull information it is always much appreciated.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:49 AM

Well thanks for the vote of confidence but you will find many 'experts' on this site to learn from. Once you reach a certain level of proficiency with the tools, tricks and techniques it boils down to who's had the most time on the water around the time you ask.

In addition, year to year knowledge is cumulative and can be applied at least in theory to each successive year. Theories are proven or rejected but experiences that span the years adds up to some pretty good hunches that really pay off. Stripers are like bonefish in that they are creatures of habit.

Just have a talk with Capt. Keith for instance, his span of being on the water every day over the years is definitely money in the bank when it comes to guessing where they will be next year. He doesn't need a crystal ball to know where to go when he gets a day off with the Mrs. or the admiral to go fishing.

Good luck out there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.