May in Mexico - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 09:50 PM

May in Mexico

My wife informed me this evening that we are going to the cancun area on may 10th and staying for 5 days. We really don't have a final destination nailed down yet, just plane tickets to cancun. This will be our 3rd trip down there in the last year and a half. I've fished for bonefish last january in punta allen and had an awesome time. I'm looking for somewhere in the area that we could go that I can fish on my own, perferably flats fishing. However, surf fishing would be ok if i could have a shot at something bigger than the little 5 inch fish I've seen the locals catching in playa del carmen.
Does anyone have any recomendations for a lower priced fly reel that would be good for use in the salt. Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2007, 10:24 AM

Ross Canyon and Lamson has some reels on sale at cabelas and ll bean. Or keep a close eye on Ebay deals can be had. I saved 300 bucks buying my brand new Abel Super 12 off ebay several wks ago.

Mexico- You can wander the beaches and get lucky hooking up w/ some bones first thing in the morning, fish the nonpopular swim regions and you may get lucky. My older bro in cancun was fishing for jacks and cudas w/ size 2 chrt/wht clouser on a steel leader and still caught a 3 bones!

If you got the cahoonies rent a car and drive south of Tulum you'll eventually find a bridge that leads to "real" salt flats. Do some searches and you'll find more info about this.

If I were you, do a one day guide trip w/ Pesca Maya they'll pick you up fish all day and drop you back off at your resort. What I did and was my best bone guided trips ever. I was staying at Playa Del Carmen.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:49 PM

We' ll probably not be staying in a "resort". Were looking at some cabanas in the tulum area and may actually stay in a palce inside the reserve. I did a trip down to the bay when we stayed in Playa, My guides name was Armando if anyone has fished with him. We got picked up by a guy named Rojo that drove us there and back. I'm not frieghtened of going it alone there, I just need to know the best places to go. Are any of the flats accessablr without a boat. What can I expect to catch if I'm just casting from the beachesIf anyone wants to go or is going I'd be willing to meet up and split a guide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2007, 08:49 AM

Do some searches about the bridge south of Tulum, I don't have the info saved any where but I remember reading there are flats accessible at the bridge location. We drove over the bridge going to Pesca Maya. I imagine you drove over the little bridge as well. Hope that helps. Let us know the info you find and of course a fishing report!

When I was there fly type wasn't to important. Smaller flies like 6 was what my guide picked out w/ a real small chain bead eye to sink slowly as the flats were not very deep. For some of the bigger channels he tyed on a heavily weighted mantis shirmp pattern for permit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.