Rod weight vs Line weight - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 09:03 PM

Rod weight vs Line weight

All,

I just bought a Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) 2wt 6' rod. I already have a 3wt TFO 7'6" rod which I use 3wt line on.

I figured I could use the 3wt line on my new 2wt rod. Anyone have opinions on this stuff?

I'll get to test it out this weekend! Can't wait.
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Pullin' Thread

You can do this if you really have your heart set on doing so; however, I must caution that the 3 wt line will overload this 2 wt rod and cause it to bend right to the cork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2007, 10:41 PM

Sounds like a good idea. It will load with less line out, and that is not a bad thing if the casts are short (like under 25'). Or maybe he rod will feel over lined, and you'll have to get a two weight.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I'm never a proponent of overlining a rod. I'm sure it will work, but how well is the question? If you're going to spend the money on a rod, then get the right line for it. Just my .02.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:29 AM

Give it a try and see for yourself. "Up-sizing" by one line size is common practice and you may like the results -or you may not. I wouldn't worry about any excessive loading on your rod from the heavier line. Most modern graphite rods will accomodate a variation of a couple of line sizes without too much loss in in performance.

It's much much better to simply try it out than base your decision on what a bunch of (us) yahoos will tell you on the internet.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:41 PM

When you look at the actually weight difference between rod/line sizes there's not all that great a difference. It all depends on the amount of line beyond the rod tip and maybe the speed of your casting stroke. Overloading a rod by a line size will not make a great difference at least untill 40 ft or so(maybe longer). I've done this for years without adverse effect. Graphite is very forgiving. I've a;ways felt that rod makers should designate rods in multiple weights but then they would sell less rods.

Millerbrown
Old 03-07-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I'm never a proponent of overlining a rod. I'm sure it will work, but how well is the question? If you're going to spend the money on a rod, then get the right line for it. Just my .02.
It's not about the money... it's about finding the right combination. We are leaving tomorrow so I'll get to try the 3wt line on my TFO 2wt rod! Later on I'll try the 2wt and find out for myself. Just wanted to hear other people's experiences... thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.