Travel help! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2007, 01:26 PM
resigned

Travel help!

The Bonefishmon & Family needs to get warm starting on the 18th of March. I know. Last minute opportunity with blessings from the boss make finding affordable flights next to impossible what with Spring Break Season and all. Family wants to go so I must adhere to a budget. Leaving from the Ct, RI, Ma area airports.

If any off you are aware of any specials to PR, please let me know. We procrastinated on the passports and I need to see silver. It's been way too long.

Phil
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Just use orbitz and travelocity. You get the range of otptions.

Looks like the dirt cheap flights are gone. Try jet blue they are offering real low fares to SJU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hey Phil -

How are you doing on the search? What kind of trip are you thinking about and what price range?

In San Juan Condado and Isla Verde are very nice but upper shelf. Right on the beach. If you can book with a guide right there near the airport you should be into some action as Fred and basser will attest.

Culebra is very nice, you can take a cheap flight from SJU to Culebra and hang at Mamacitas or next door, better book ahead. Zoni beach is my favorite. Rent a jeep but stay clear of Thrifty. Rooms for about $110/night for a small family I would guess. Camping on Flamenco Beach is nice if your family is into that. I drove to the ferry but the flights are pretty cheap. If you rent a car in SJU it's $30 extra to drop it in Fajardo (well close to Fajardo in Del Ray Marina). Long drive with lots of traffic to Fajardo. Ferry is $2.50 per person but I think I would fly next time to maximize time on Culebra. About $50 per person each way.

Cabo Rojo is a long ass drive but gorgeous. Family may not enjoy it as much but between Boqueron, Cabo Rojo, Joyuda, Paraguera and Guanica there are many many places to unwind and enjoy things. I didn't look into it but a flight to Cabo Rojo might be the way to go and it's probably cheap. I know there are flights to Mayaguez just to the north. Porta Del Sol is the region, much less touristy and raw natural beauty than SJU of course, Culebra is wild yet accomodating to touristas.

If you can get in with Chris Goldmark at Culebra he is the real deal. Mamacitas is great food as is Dingy Dock. Drinks are even better

Tarpon up to 100# cruising everywhere. You should get a jeep on Culebra.

Haven't been to Vieques.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Phil - here's a bump

My opinion... San Juan = a shorter more inten$e vacation with tarpon right there with a guide, kind of like FLL or MIA at a smaller scale. Family might like it better depending on their preferences.

Culebra = a longer less expensive vacation more like Nantucket with palm trees and tarpon. Some of the most beautiful beaches you will ever see, and a lazy island feel without a lot of frills. Good food and drink at Mamacita's and the Dinghy Dock among other hidden treasures around the island. Not much more than that though, minimalist conveniences and close to nature feel although there is an airport that has cheap flights to/from SJU.

Vieques = never been there. Hear it's nice.

It all beats the heck out of this brutal weather.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.