Trout in Northern California (March - May?) - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 06:00 PM

Trout in Northern California (March - May?)

Hello,

I am going to be spending March - mid-May in the bay area, Berkeley specifically. I don't have a good sense of when the good trout fishing happens in California -- my context is the Canadian prairies, and we still have ice on the lakes until mid-May. I just don't have any context.

I have mostly light gear (5 weight). There isn't much stream fishing for trout in Saskatchewan -- most of the water is closed in by bush, or too warm in the summer, if you'll believe that.

I realize that this is a really broad question, but so far my web browsing has not given me much idea about hatch timings. I'm looking for some general idea on places to investigate within a few hrs drive of the bay area, small streams with trout.

thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Satisfied

Sask -

There is plenty of fishing around the Tahoe area then. Lots of river to choose from. Call the fly shops around the lake. I've had good luck with getting beta from a few....sorry can't remember which ones
Old 02-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Explore.... Discover.....

SaskatoonFisher, there are lots of places where you can wet your line close to the Bay area. The Upper Sacramento and Lower Sac have some really good fishing and are open to fishing year round. The only thing is the time of year you will be in california the river may be blown out because of all the water needed for irrigation. You can still float the lower sac though. the Fly Shop in Redding will help you out with a guide or fly selections. The regular trout season opens the last saturday in April for the rest of California. The Sierras are just a short drive from the bay area or you could head over to nothern Cal where the fishing can be incredible as well. I hope this helped you out.

Benny
Old 02-28-2007, 07:53 AM

comming in late here...The Yuba River is open and would be a good bet (I forget where...near grass valley?). Very nice fish. I'm not sure the status of Putah creek. The Lower Sacramento (Redding) is open year round and can be good in the spring. Maybe the Trinity could be good?
The Upper Sac, Mcloud can be tough in the early season, but Hat Creek can be good on the opener (it will be a little crowded).

Drop by Leland's in SF or call The FlyShop in Redding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.