Steelhead Fly of the week – Purple Flash - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 AM

Steelhead Fly of the week – Purple Flash

Joe Howell developed this simple pattern. Howell is considered to be one of the great innovators in steelhead fly tying. When a new material comes on the market he is often one of the first to incorporate it into a steelhead fly.

Hook: Up eye salmon dry fly hook
Tag: flat gold tinsel
Tail: Red hackle fibers
Body: Purple braided Mylar type body material.
Hackle: Soft purple.
Wing: Red squirrel tail.
Cheeks: Jungle cock
Head: Black

Charlie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Purple Flash.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	6286  
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 04:08 PM

Charlie,

It is very cool for me to see this fly. Independently of Joe, I started fishing this fly for winter fish in clear water over 25 years ago, well before I heard of Joe's version. Many people modify proven favorites per their whims, and I consider this a modification of the venerable Purple Peril. I call my version a Purple Diamond, since it was tied with Diamond Braid, which was the first flash body material I encountered.

I still have the fly that caught my very first summer fish 20 years ago from the Picnic Table hole on the North Fork Stillaguamish--a Purple Diamond tied on a small Partridge Wilson hook.

Interestingly, the Purple Flash/Diamond has been a very poor fly for me on Joe Howell's river, the North Umpqua. I once asked him about it, because of my tremendous lack of success with the fly on that river. It was probably just a case of insufficient data, and just last fall I (unfortunately) "picked the pocket" of my son, taking a nice wild fish on this fly when following him through a hole.

In contrast, this has been a favorite fly for me on the Deschutes, and also the half-pounder rivers of Northern California. ever since that year when I first started fishing for summers. Deschutes guide John Hazel once looked through my box to pick out a fly for me to use, picked out a small Purple Flash, and a short time later I hooked and landed a nice bright fish--the only one of the day in my group.

As is typical for purple and dark flies, I especially like this fly at dusk.

--Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.