Intermediate and floater Lines - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 09:02 AM
mike oliver

Intermediate and floater Lines

Guys,

I need to re-equip myself with a 9wt set up. My buddy who is a relativelly inexperiemced saltvwater Fisher is doing the same. I may go the shooting head set up whilst my friend will almost certainly go the full WF fly line route. Venue is Cape Cod, flats ocean beaches back bays and fast deep inlets.
We need Intermediate lines, floaters and fast sink.

The I line I have been advised so far to be of the clear type. The choices are pretty overwhelming these days. Not easy to select from the various makers out there.
So in your opinions Guys who is making the best lines and heads for our needs. Your help is appreciated. Also any line to avoid to espcially those that missbehave in cold water.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by Mike Oliver; 02-17-2007 at 09:16 AM. Reason: delet all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Middle Aged Member

As they say, "opinions are like a$$ holes everybody has one", but here's mine.

I've used Cortlands for the most part, 444SL's in clear intermediate and floater. I like them, they're a fairly nueteral WF line casting wise. The floater seems to grit up and get gummy in warm weather, needs frequent cleaning.

The last two years I've been using Wulff triangle tapers in a clear intermediate and floater and have come to like them a lot. These are more of a shooting line (not as neuteral as the 444's) and the running line is a bit thinner. Initially I was ready to toss them but the more I cast them the more I liked them.

Fast sinks, I like the Cortland QD's. 444 325 gr, and the 555 350 and 300 gr. I don't think I have used any others.

I've become skeptical about the advantages of clear lines and I don't think they are worth the disadvantage of not knowing where your line is or what it's doing.

Unless your fishing the Cape between late October and early May the cold water lines don't buy you anything and they gum up as you get into late June.

Note that these are just my opinions. I'm not a line connesoure (sp) and tend to live with whatever I have.

Last edited by FredA; 02-17-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:24 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Fred is right - everyone has an opinion on their preferences. I'm kinda committed to the Rio product line, and have used them the past 7-8 years on the cape. In terms of the intermediate lines, the Rio Striper has performed quite well over the years. It is a clear line, loads well for both in-close and long casts, with minimal tangling in a stripping basket. They also have an opaque intermediate that has the same taper, but can be charged with a flashlight for full luminesence at night. Great idea and doesn't appear to spook fish.

Two years ago I began using the Rio Outbound series of lines. I started using a prototype with an intermediate head/floating running line. The head is clear, 37.5 feet in length and weights 1.5 times above the stated line weight, e.g. 375 grains for a 9wt. It is a wonderful line for fast action rods. Loads very well for close sightfishing situations and is a cannon for long, blindcasting situations. It has a .030 running line and does tangle at times, but manageable.

This line is also available in type 3, 6 & 8 sinktips with an intermediate running line.

Floaters have been discussed at length in other threads here, but I seldom use one, even with crease flies. We do have proficient casters on this forum like Adrian and Sean who like to swing flatwings with a floater. I'll defer to the experts for their recommendations.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Bauer Pauer

Here's another vote for Rio lines. I have been using them for a few years now without any issues.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 PM
2hand canal ,conventional

How about a floater with T-14 or lead core,make up your own lengths depending on the depth your looking for.Much better line control than full sinking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.