Marathon - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 06:30 PM

Marathon

A friend and I have booked 4 nites at the Rainbow Bend Resort at MM58 in mid March. We have a guide for our middle day, but hope to have some success on our own on day 1 and 3. It looks like pretty good water not too far away to the NE.
Anyone got any good local info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Flats Rat

Head south to Bahia Honda. It is stunning and not far from Marathon.

If you don't spot fish, blind cast into the deeper channels and you will probably hook up. Next time I go there I won't be such a "purist"

Not sure if will have warmed up enough by mid March but it's definitely a place to check out.

Also, if you make it down to Key West you can visit Ernest Hemingway's home.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:44 PM

Adrian knows his stuff.

Depending on the weather I would also consider doing the guide the first day. That way he can hopefully point you in the right direction to some wade spots or possible Yak spots. Also Depending on funds.. the cheapest place I've seen for renting a small flats boat is SeaBirdMarina.com. The lady I talked to was super nice, I almost booked through them for my trip in June but the boat is still small for 3/4 people. If you check out google earth you know where some flats are located. Then do a search on tides and HIT EM!! Make sure you take lots of pics and give a big report when you give back.

Quick story.. If you do some blind casting in a channel where it gets deep consider a Int. sinking line. My last trip to the Keys couple of years ago (way to long) I was blind casting a large Chrt/wht clouser into the channel at the condo we were staying. I casted my entire fly line and was counting to 20 before stripping it in letting it get real deep. Close to 20.. my line started moving.. I strip set the hook and line started being ripped out my Super 8 screaming, the fish never slowed down shortly in the battle my 15lb test broke frayed end.. Never saw what it was. Later that day for fun we set up a chum block. We were catching snappers, jacks, having fun when a 60lb tapon showed up started following my older bro clouser it bite but broke off right away.. had on 15lb test.. We were rigged for Jacks. The moral be PREPARED use bite tippet 40lb at the min.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:36 AM

Doesn't Rainbow Bend still have free use of a Boston Whaler for it's guests ?
If they do, just go off to the right (west) to the Grassy Key sand spit. Anchor the
boat or beach on spit if tides are right (still use the anchor). When that bar floods, HUGE cuda come up on it's edge from the flat. Bones are also present at the right tide. Have taken bones & cuda there & had shots at Tarpon cruising by the west
end of spit. You are only talking a few hundred yds. from the Rainbow bend dock.
The spit and flats may have changed some due to hurricanes the year before last. Have fun.

PS - around the end of the spit & into the mangrove lined bay is one of the only
areas I've had consistent shots at permit.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:31 AM

marathon

Yes, Rainbow Bend offers use of a small Whaler for half a day. Thanks for the tip to the west. Doe you know anything about east?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.