Tarpon rod. - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 04:18 PM

Tarpon rod.

What's rods have you used with success on tarpon? Is a 12wt ok? I would like the brand if possible. I'll probably make my own rod so I'm thinking a 12wt Horizon II. I'm after medium size Tarpon . I don't know about the giants that would take a guide for sure. Which I plan to do in the future. Thanks
FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 04:26 PM

I'm far from a tarpon expert. Only caught 10-30lbers. Been after the big guys a couple of times come up empty handed. Round two this spring..

I'f your going to for med 50-80lbers I'd build a 10 or 11wt. A 12 is one mean big stick made for the big dogs. In one of Leftys books he said a lot of people have trouble casting larger wt rods (12wt). That a modern 10wt is perfectly capable of landing fish to 100 (can't remember his exact quote I think he said 120lb).

Only an opinion
Old 02-09-2007, 11:49 AM

Bill

I have the Xi2 12 wt and love it!!! My guide and I were messing around with it on my last outing and we were able to bomb out casts that were fly-line and some backing while maintaining a delicate presentation and a great deal of accuracy.

Personal opinion, but I like an ultra fast rod when I'm throwing a line that is that heavy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2007, 12:14 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Bill, Dave is spot on with the Xi2. I don't know about the other brands, but I do know that the Xi2 is designed for large fish and has a butt section designed for lifting.

I'm not sure that you need a 12wt, unless you are targeting tarpon over 100lbs. A 10wt will handle fish below that weight. Since you already have a Tibor Riptide, you've got the reel for a 10wt. If you go with the 12wt, then you'll have to invest in a Gulfstream.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the info guys . Dave if you can bring that rod up North when your here would like to see it in action. Jim, another Tibor will break the bank
I like the Xi2 and that will be my next rod. Perhaps I'll compromise and make the 11wt which should work fine with the Riptide. You can see that I have cabin fever.
It won't be long now Jim and Dave May is around the corner.
FishHawk
Old 02-09-2007, 06:48 PM

Tarpon Rods

I don't know where you will be fishing, but unless there is a lot of deep water around, a 10 wt should be just fine for the fish you are after. There are some interesting alternatives to consider: the fish in my avatar we calculated as just over 80#. This was a fish from under the mangroves in the back-country south of Chokoloskee...5 ft of water is a deep hole. The rod I used was a 9 ft single-piece "Billy Baroo" 8/9 wt made by Biscayne Rod Company. Reel was a Tibor Everglades. Except for the jumps, I had the rod bent to the handle for about a 35 min fight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.