? about rod cost - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 08:14 PM

? about rod cost

Hello,
My name is Ben. I am looking for a new rod and would like to know where the line is with flyrods. By line I mean where are getting the most performance for your dollar as apposed to the best marketing. I don't have a problem spending more if it is better. I have a cabelas stowaway now but want to upgrade.

Thanks Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Pullin' Thread

Ben,

I'm going to make the assumption that you haven't been fly fishing for very many years based on the rod you are now using and your stated desire to upgrade to something better. Therefore, I will answer your question with this assumption in mind.

First I must say there really is no magic "this is the dollar limit where you get the most performance for your dollar". I say this because I, like many other experienced fly fisherman, buy the top end (i.e. expensive) rods simply because they perform better than middle price range rods and leave the lower prices ones to those just getting into fly fishing.

However, once you get into the $300.00 range (more or less) with single-hand rods, you have moved into the land of very good performance. The $300.00 range single-hand rods perform so well that they will serve the average fly fisher very well and not hamper his/her casting ability or fishing enjoyment the rest of his/her life. This price range sinlge-hand rods are made on more refined mandrels with a more refined taper, have better components, are finished better, and cast and feel noticeably better than those that cost less.

If stepping up to the $300.00 price range seems a bit much for you, the $200 range single-hand rods are disctinctly better than the $100.00 ones and you would notice the performance difference immediately.

As you no doubt now know, the under $100.00 single-hand rods are fine to get started without putting out much cash; but after a few years of fishing, their inherent compromises in materials and casting performance begin to become evident. Don't get me wrong, I am all for rods under $100.00 for newcomers to fly fishing.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:41 PM

Flytyer,

Thanks for the info. I have only been fly fishing for about a year. I was not thinking when I took the person at Cabelas advice. He sold me $180 reel and a $90 rod.

Thanks again for the info
Ben
Old 02-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Pullin' Thread

Ben,

Unfortunately, many of the folks who work as salesmen in Cabella and other large, big-box sporting goods stores know little to nothing about fly fishing, and that is why folks like yourself end up with expensive reels and barely adequate rods. If a person thinks he has to buy a rod and reel from a Cabella's (or other similar type of store) to get the most bang for dollar, he really needs to take along someone who knows a good bit about fly fishing (or uses him when ordering from a catalog), he can get what he needs to ensure he gets what will serve him best; however, that is usually not the case.

This is why I advise folks getting into fly fishing to go to a local fly shop, even if that means he might have to drive an hour or so to get to one. Fly shops are almost invariably owned by folks who are advid and knowledgeable fly fishers and they carry rods from the high-end ones I use to beginner models. So in the end, a newcomer to fly fishing usually ends up with better equipment choices for the same or even a bit less than the large operations like Cabella's.

Don't get me wrong, there is a place for the large retailers like Cabella's. However, it is not a good place for beginners to go because they are usually given poor advice by the salespeople.

You would have been far better off with a $30.00 reel and a $200.00 rod. A reel in the least important part of a fly fishing outfit. All it really needs to do is hold the line and a bit of backing with enough resistance (a click drag is all that is needed for this) the keep the spool from overrunning. The rod and line are the most important pieces, as you have know learned.

Glad what I wrote was useful to you.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 PM

Flytyer,

I have learned from my mistake and I prefer to use small shops for archery but for some reason did not apply that to fly fishing. I am going to a fly shop to cast a few rods. What weight rod would best suit bass fishing. I have a good reel and just relined with Rio Nymph 8wf floating. I fish in a local river most of the time and have been tring to catch a steelhead this winter with little success.

Thanks Ben
Old 02-09-2007, 12:43 PM

7's and 8's are good all purpose rods for what you're talking about. By buying the 8 you'll also be set for most saltwater fishing that comes up.

You never know when that trip to New England or the Bahamas may come up and it's nice to have a rod that can handle most of these situations if you're talking about having a single rod.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Pullin' Thread

Ben,

Exactly as Dave said, either a 7 or 8 wt.

Since you already have the RIO WF8 Nymph line, I'd recommend you look at getting a 9'-10' 8 wt rod. This is the wt rod I'd personally get in a single-hander for bass and steelhead (either winter fish or summer fish in fall) in your part of the country. Later on down the line a year or so, you might look into getting a WF8bass taper line for tossing the wind resistant bass flies, or a WF8 RIO Windcutter single-hand line (especially the interchangeable tips version), which would let you better cover fish lies and allow you to fish at different depths without having to attach lead to your leader.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:36 PM

Flytyer, Dave17

I am going to get an 8wt and couple of spools for my reel. About mid summer I am going to get another rod and reel maybe 6/5 weight. Thanks again for all the help.

Ben
Old 02-10-2007, 05:53 AM

? about rod cost

Ben,
A rod upgrade should greatly enhance the quality of your casting and your fly fishing experience. However, as others have mentioned and can't be emphasized enough, you needn't go to the high end of the rod spectrum that are available.

In the moderately priced group, $250 - $350, I've found I really love, and would suggest you seriously consider, the Sage FLI series of rods. I picked up a four piece model for a baby tarpon trip two years ago and found l enjoyed casting it much more than some much more expensive rods Sage, Scott and Powell rods.

There are a lot of other affordable options in this price range to consider, and the FLI may not be the one for you, and the key to finding the best rod is finding a rod that works best with your casting stroke and style. Good luck and enjoy the journey, John
Old 02-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Here's something else you might add to the excellent advice above...

as your casting improves, come back and cast every rod you've 'retired'. I've been doing this for many years and it's remarkable how good those old clunkers get if you know what I mean.

A lot of it is in your hands as Speynut mentions. Study, practice, learn. Casting is a pursuit that makes the range of good rods much, much wider.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-11-2007, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the help. It is between the sage fli and the winston vapor Now I just have to decide with I like better.

Ben

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.