FL keys DIY - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 08:44 AM

FL keys DIY

Hi all,

I'm going to be in the Keys (Duck Key) the last week of March for a conference, and am going to stay a couple extra days to fish. I can't/won't pay $500 for a day with a guide, so I'm planning to just explore on my own. I understand the keys are tough, and don't expect to catch bones there except by a stroke of luck. I've been once before and had fun casting at barracuda and a bonnethead shark at long key state park, though I didn't catch anything.

Can anyone share insights on DIY fishing for "easier" fish? I'd be happy catching some jacks, snook, redfish, small sharks, etc. I'd really love to catch a baby tarpon. How about canals in Miami, on the way to/from the airport - any chance for baby tarpon there?

Thanks for any tips. I'm happy to reciprocate with info on Colorado fishing.

Andy Lamborne
lamborne4@msn.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2007, 11:23 AM

You need to hurry and get the American Angler magazine. It has been out for awhile so another issue may be coming out soon. They have a whole article dedicated to DIY in the Keys. Also a big help and studying the flats Google Earth.

Since your not getting a guide, study Google Earth look for some flats, and rent a Yak. The Yak will give you a LOT more access to areas to fish than being land locked stuck. Before you rent the Yak go to a cheap store buy a small thin rope and a 5 lb flat weight. Now you also have an anchor. You can stay still in one spot or get out and wade around w/o worrying your yak will be gone.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 PM
In moderation

Hi Andy
I have fished the Keys many times but never DIY, always with a guide.
I do know that most of the flats on the bay side are very soft mud and you have to be very carefull. There are a few Oceanside flats that are wadeable though.

Pete
Old 01-31-2007, 07:29 PM

Saltwater Sportsman did an extensive article on DIY in the keys on $120/day including lodging. Lists all the spots from shore too, and some flats, as well as kayaking from the park (Bahia I think it was). I think the issue was in late Spring of last year. Might be worth looking up.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:10 PM

Check your PM's
Old 02-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Thumper of Drum.

Send a message via AIM to Jamey McLeod Send a message via MSN to Jamey McLeod Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey McLeod
Duck Key is sick Bro.

You will enjoy it

Just returned from there last Sat. There are a good number of smaller (30-50lbs) Res. Tarpon, though they can be fickle and spookey. Jacks and Cudda abound. Did the DIY myself and was impressed.

Drop me a PM for more info, there are cheap off shore boats within 30min. The beer in the cooler at the Dockside is ALOT cheaper than at the Truman, they will open them on the counter for you and no tip required, open intox is non-existant on the island.

Seriously Jealous shoveling snow in West MI-

Ditto on the kayak, but stay on the island, cruise the flats on the SW end of the island.

Jamey

Last edited by Jamey McLeod; 02-03-2007 at 05:33 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.