Fishing in England - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 01:34 PM

Fishing in England

Hello All,
My wife and I will be moving to England (Cheltenham area) in the fall, and I was wondering about fly fishing there. I've tried to find info about how things work generally, formal rules, organizations, etc., but have been at a bit of a loss. If anyone has lived or fished there, or knows somebody who does, I would greatly appreciate their thoughts.
Thanks,
AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 08:42 PM

When my wife, I and friends went to Great Britain several years ago, I packed along a rod. I particularly wanted to try the noctural sea-trout fishing in various Scottish streams. That seemed to be a little more involved than I thought, so I wound up looking for other possibilities.

The most accessible trout fishing seemed to be in the controlled reservoirs. For a small fee, you could cast to trout cruising along the shorelines. This, in my limited experience, was not at all put-and-take fishing: the trout were wary and few were caught in my presence during the day. The odd thing to me was, that as soon as it got to be dinner time -- the anglers' as well as the trouts' -- everyone packed up and left, leaving me alone with mulitple risers well within casting distance.

The man who sold the tickets said this was not unusual.

Something you might want to look into. As I said, the rates are cheap and the venues I visited rented tackle and sold flies.

The fishing shops I visited were all most helpful in suggesting places to fish. You'll get to know plenty of these as you live there, and travel about.

Although the old saying goes "not even God could get a day on the Test", you might give Netherwollop Mill a call and see what openings they have.

Cheerio,

Eric
Old 02-01-2007, 09:55 AM

Hi AJ
This is a web site in England that I have used before. They are helpful and love to talk fishing. It's a saltwater site for the most part, but I'm sure they could direct you to info you might be looking for.
http://ukswff.co.uk/

Brian
Old 02-01-2007, 11:40 AM

My recollection is that Cheltenham is near Gloucester (?). When I went to school over there ( Ronald Reagan was President then), I fished in Derbyshire on the Wye and Derwent ( water that was accessible if you stayed at the right Hotel- amazingly beautiful stream and great fishing. I also fished in Wales around LLangollen and in Dorset on the Torridge or Torrington for Sea Trout. I found a guide book either at House of Hardy or Farlow's that gave good info on all sorts of water. (And yes, I did fish the Test, one day.) That'll be a change from the Front Range- where are you in CO now- My Mom lives in Castle Rock and Igrew up in Boulder, then Steamboat.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:08 PM

Fishing Source

Farlows has a guidebook published every other year: "Where To Fish". My (not new) copy is edited by D.A. Orton. Farlow's URL is www.farlow's.co.uk/farlows/

Also, try www.where-to-fish.com
Old 02-01-2007, 02:15 PM

Good luck in England!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:30 PM

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/ Try here things can be a bit wild at times, there are few moderators but someone will know the area.

Avoid viewpoint if you are of a nervous disposition...I'm Williegunn there as well.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 02-05-2007, 01:07 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Hi Culper,

my advice, in addition to willie gunns suggestion, would be to get a map and some of the 'where to fish' publications. I know Trout Fisherman magazine does one each year, as does Trout & Salmon magazine.

there are numerous put and take ponds - we call them lakes, in that area.

there are also streams for wild brownies in the Chilterns. i think the upper severn has trout fishing ( although of course you could try catching their famous barbel on the fly), the avon is not far as is the wye for atlantic salmon, and wales is not far with both sea trout and salmon fishing available on a very cheap day ticket basis.

in addition, wales has some very remote wild brownie fishing which is free apart from the annual EA (government) licence.

it really is an ideal place for a fisherman to be based, being close to wales, the midlands, and the south west - you really will be spoilt for choice.

And the Test actually can be fished quite cheaply during the winter for grayling

All the Best

Mark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.