salt reels 10 wt - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 10:38 PM

salt reels 10 wt

hi there,
i am trying to find out/looking for a new 9/10wt salt reel. i am considering the galvan, and the ross BG or the new Momentum. i am lookin for any info on any other reels you guys can think of. tibor,abel, Loop/danielson,bauer, van staal etc. i will be using the reel for flats species like permit, baby tarpon, huge reds, and big jacks.

thanks
wes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

All are excellent reels, and good for the task, but with a few notes:

The Danielsson is my goto salt reel because it's half the price a twice the reel IMHO. Totally sealed drag and killer aesthetics if you like that modern/classic combination as I do. Salt-proof.

The Tibor has classic lines that are hard to argue with but I can't be bothered with cork drag maintenance. Performance of a well-maintained Tibor is time-tested and you can't go wrong there with a little TLC.

The BG isn't what I would call a salt reel because of the tendency to corrode inside the drag chamber (under the plastic cap) and it's not serviceable without a special tool that they only have at the factory.

Don't forget the Nautilus, and the Sage D series is also proven in the field as a salt reel worth it's... salt
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Fly chucker

I would also look into the Orvis LA Battenkill. I have on in the size V and it's been super for years.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Juro is "spot on" regarding the Ross BG. The replacement, Momentum, is too new to address its reliability and salt performance.

The Nautilus CCF No. 10, is my "go to" reel where sand/salt intrusion is pretty common. It has a robust sealed Cork/carbon fiber drag system that has a large backing capacity.

Tibor is the gold standard. I use the Riptide for 10wt use and the only maintenance required is an occasional rinse in freshwater. Pricey, but a hand-me-down heirloom.

The Danielsson is a sweet looking alternative, and as Juro mentioned, also has a sealed drag system. Good price point too.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:20 AM

10 wt reel

I've been very happy with a Lamson Litespeed #4 on my 10 Wt, but can't speak to it re' a surf/sand enviornment. You can probably find some of the "old" porting reels at a very good price.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:12 PM

Ever seen a Shilton?, Fantastic salt water reel and a drag with enough power to stop a train.

All the best
Mike

Just Google Shilton........................... and look for the SL7.

Last edited by Gogga; 01-30-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:15 PM

I concur with Juro comments on Danielsson reels. The HD 9-13 ( 10.5 oz) with the powerful, best on the market sealed drag would be a perfect choice. Also you will pay only $ 440 ( where it was resold/marketed by Loop a couple years ago it cost $ 800).
I have 7 reels made by Danielsson and love them.

http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/us/start.php

Nautilus would be my No.2 choice.
http://www.nautilusreels.com/

Salmo
Old 01-31-2007, 10:02 AM
In moderation

My favourite reel in that category in the Tibor Riptide. It is very reliable and the maintainance is not difficult. You must just rinse in clean water after each use and before each trip make sure that there is enough oil on the cork drag.

The Abel super 10 is very similar as is the Shilton - I have just bought an SL6 and will try it out next week.

My favourite sealed drag reel is made by Van Staal.

Pete
Old 02-01-2007, 08:38 AM

If you want to buy it once and never be dissapointed, get the Riptide. I beat on mine annually and have never done more than spin the handle under a running tap after a weekend or week of hard fishing. Looks and works like new despite being dunked and dropped hard on the deck a number of times. If you fish out of a boat, I would be wary of the thin cage on Danielsson and Sage in that regard.

For big jacks and pelagics I would want a draw bar system with a huge cork like Tibor and Abel. If you want to see the level of craftsmanship involved, check out the video interview with Ted J on the Tibor website.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:31 PM

Lots of good salt water reels out there. Ross isn't one of them. I finally gave up on mine and use the Nautilus, which is a great SW reel. I asked the folks at Ross about their new Momentum model, and was told it has basically the same drag system. Ross freshwater reels are excellent. Ross service is excellent, I have extensive experience with it - I had to send my BG reel back for service after every trip.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:26 PM

I would be wary of the thin cage on Danielsson and Sage in that regard.

What Danielsson reel are you talking about?

The LW, which is more suitable for freshwater fishing or Bonefish is relatively delicate.
but HD series reels ( HD means - heavy duty) I was recommended are very sturdy !!!. HD reel can stop the train and with most reliable, sealed drag, on the market is hard to beat.

Unlike Tibor, as it was mentioned, no need to wash it every day or put oil on the cork!, as the drag in Danielsson HD is fully sealed. Not to mention a beautiful Swedish craftsmanship. The
At the end it was Danielsson who show reel industry in 1980 how to make large arbor reels. One the worldwide patent has expired, the others manufactures have jumped in ….

The HD drag consist of the multiple carbon/steel disks. As a result, both surfaces of several disks participate in the braking process.
http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/us/bromsteknik.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s6_paket.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	6259  
Old 02-04-2007, 08:39 AM

For the type of fishing your going to do Tibor is the reel. Simple in design , bulletproof and has over 234 world record fish taken on these reels made in the USA. . Able is also, a great reel and in the same class as Tibor. Another reel to look at is the Nautilus which has a sealed cork drag and is in the top three. All this fuss about maintenance is really no big issue, just rinse the reel off after fishing and your done. The cork maintenance is perhaps once a year add a little grease or neet foot oil. That's it .
Just my opinion. I suggest you take a look at the reels and see what the guys are using in the area your going to fish . Go to the local fly shop and they'll set you up. Fish Hawk
Old 02-04-2007, 02:17 PM

I suggest you take a look at the reels and see what the guys are using in the area your going to fish . Go to the local fly shop and they'll set you up. Fish Hawk

Untill Loop ws reselling Danielsson reels for $ 800 retail, every fly shop loved them. Since Danielsson refused to send its factory to Korea and is selling reels directly from the factory, fly shop don’t carry them anymore....

While Nautilus is a nice reels, someone has to explain why it is superior, at salt water fishing tool then Danielsson HD ?

“All this fuss about maintenance is really no big issue, just rinse the reel off after fishing and your done. The cork maintenance is perhaps once a year add a little grease or neet foot oil”

I would respectfully disagree. What about if not enough/frequently oil is placed on the cork and problem appears when 50 lb Tarpon is running at full speed?

BTW, Nautilus, following Daniesslon has changed year ago its drag plates from cork to carbon fiber which dissipated heat much more effectively then cork!!!!
Nautilus reel has a grease on the shaft. After the spool is removed, it is very important to make sure the surface of the shaft is dirt free!!!
In Nautilus only drag is sealed. Daniesslon have entire mechanism sealed, what make the reel extremely reliable. No ned for meticulous washing, keeping an eye on cork etc.

For this year even Ross Reel has introduced carbon fiber to Momentum drag, unfortunately not sealed.

Salmo
Old 02-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bigdave is a fishin' friend of mine and although I am not prone to piss off a guy twice my size comparing the 'thin cage' of a Sage D series reel, which indeed does have a thin metal body like a Bauer, and the Danielsson HD reels is apples to oranges.

HD reels (which I own) have serious meat on their shoulders and are up to any boat ride. In fact the material is beefiest on the perimiter of the spool like the chines of a driftboat, where it counts the most against impact. It is completely up to the job.

Salmo, whether maintenance is an issue or not is really up to the beholder. For some things a part of the passion is the care and it's no trouble at all. There is something special about a Tibor reel no doubt.

But to be honest Dave I saw your reel dismantled and hand-washed on the kitchen sink each night at the fishin' cottage while my Danielsson sat unrinsed out on my rod rack none the worse for wear after seasons of rinsing when I get home (unless it rains on the way). The guys on the Acklins trip did the same thing each night with their Tibors, dismantling and washing - while my Danielsson sat out in the tropical night with a rinse from the hose if Katy's dinner wasn't waiting for me or the tequila calling.

Now all these reels are sweet little crankin' machines and we are lucky to have such choices - and I think reels get better all the time. I can't wait to see what comes out in the years to come.

But for today I can't get over how affordable, reliable, aethetically pleasing and care-free my Danielsson reels have been over the years. I am worried someone will buy them again and the price will shoot up to full market value frankly.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-05-2007, 09:50 AM

J, you saw my bauer dismantled in the cottage - not the tibor.

There are lots of choices out there and people should buy whatever they want.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.