Biminis and surgeons - Fly Fishing Forum
Lines, Loops and Leaders Line / Leader Recipes, Loops, Splices, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 06:39 PM

Biminis and surgeons

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the saltwater flyfishing game, and am off to mexico in a couple of days for my first ever bonefishing trip.
I'm trying to attach Gelspun backing to my flyline and have read on the forum that the standard way is loop to loop with a bimini with a double surgeons loop in the GSP.
Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question but what is this supposed to look like? I can tie a bimini reasonably well, but where is the double surgeons loop supposed to go when I've tied the bimini?
Or am I missing the point? Is the objective to double up the line with the bimini and then double up again with the surgeon's knot? Or double up the line with a wouble surgeon's knot then tie a bimini in the doubled line?
Any help gratefully received.
(Especially if someone has a pic of the finished article so I know what I'm aiming for )
thanks, Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Jonesin...

Nick,

I can try and get you a pick tonight but in the meantime...the intent is to achieve two loops in the backing. This will help prevent a girth hitch from forming around your fly line and cutting through it. To achieve this result tie a bimini in the end of the backing creating as large a loop as you can. I create one that is about 3' long by putting the far end of the loop under my foot and passing the line around my knee and up to my hands. After the bimini is completed simply fold the loop created back over itself and tie a double surgeons knot as close to the bimini as possible. This should give you two loops about a foot to a foot and half in length that can easily pass over the reel for changing lines. Hopefully this clears it up but I will see if I can get some clear pictures tonight.

Sean
Old 02-09-2007, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the reply Sean. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I was in a rush trying to get my tackle sorted out before I went away and was too busy trying out new knots.
I understood what you said, and tried it on holiday.
Nothing broke, even with the backing knot being pulled around the coral heads, so I must have done something right .
The line coatings on these new lines must be far far tougher than I ever thought they could be!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.