Fly Fishing for Red fish in Louisiana - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 02:30 PM

Fly Fishing for Red fish in Louisiana

Does anyone here have any experience catching Reds in the marsh on flies? I'm going back to visit in June and I was wondering what the best flies are. I caught Reds on spinning tackle but never on a fly rod before. I'm stoked and can't wait.

Mitch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 10:27 AM

Any advise on catching Red Fish with flies? Even if it's not in Louisiana.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Jonesin...

Mitch,

Wish I could help you out but I haven't caught a redfish ever. I am most likely going to have a day or two to fish for them in NC this spring and will gladly share any knowledge I can gain from that experience. Capt. Gordon Churchill chimes in around here every now and then and has a ton of experience with the Reds in NC. Hopefully he can add some insight for you.

Sean
Old 01-25-2007, 12:23 PM
In moderation

Hi Mich
I have caught quite a few redfish. In Florida, Everglades National Park and also in Texas Laguna Madre.

The successful flies I have used have been red wooly buggers, red and white seducers size1/0 but the most successful was a Dupree spoon fly.

You quite often find reds in very muddy water so you must get the fly quite close to them.
For tailing reds cast the fly just behind the fish being careful not to line him and then slowly bring the fly to where it is tailing then stop. When the tail goes down, the fishes head comes up, slowly strip the fly. Bingo.

Any more info you need, please let me know.
I love fishing for reds it is great fun.

Pete
Old 01-25-2007, 01:14 PM

Thanks Sean and Pete! It sounds like red is a good color. I don't have a lot of red materials since I don't fish saltwater but I'll pick up some and tie some red wooly buggers to take there. Thanks again!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:47 PM

I've fished for LA redfish a few times pre-Katrina. At the recommendation of the guide, I used spoon flies almost exclusively. Not really happy with how they'll twist your line/leader over the course of the day, but they catch fish.

If you're looking for a guide (and I'm not sure if he's still guiding after Katrina), Capt. Paul Noel is exceptional.

Tim
Old 01-25-2007, 04:58 PM

Good advice above; the techniques described by Pete Vicar should be especially useful. I have just one more thing to add, although it's a bit like the blind leading the blind for me to talk about redfish on a fly.

But,

I am going to be on Sanibel/Captiva this spring, and the area, at least in years past, has swarmed with redfish. I intend to get one (or hopefully several) on a fly while I'm there.

Our good friends at HugeOutdoorOutfitters recommend the following patterns:

Delta Shrimp, EZ Body Shrimp, Drum Popper (!), Fiddler, QT Rattle Shrimp, Polar Crab, Redfish Minnow, Redfish Ration, Shrimp Cocktail, Super Shrimp, Texas Crabshrimp, and a Twister Shrimp.

Along with a bucket of spoon flies.

I intend to tie up this assortment and see what gives. The Popper thing really has me intrigued, as I saw someone catch a couple of redfish on a surface lure while I was unsuccessfully trying to get one to hit various of my flies. This was north of Mosquito Lagoon in July. Anyway, getting one a popper would be a real neat trick.

my $0.02,

-- Eric

Last edited by Eric; 01-25-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:24 AM

Thanks Eric and Tim,
I'm going to go out with my brother in his boat while I'm there. I'm planning on hitting the area where I used to go a lot before I moved to Colorado. I used to spin finsh with live bait for reds and specks but catching them on the fly will be new to me.

It sounds like the spoon is the number 1 fly for the reds based on everything I have read in forums and on sites on the internet.

Eric, I'll try to look up some of those patterns you mentioned in your post. You mentioned poppers. I have several different poppers I'm bringing. I used to buy Lucky 13 bass lures and take the hooks off and used them as a popping cork with a live minnow about 18 inches behind it. If you leave any hooks on, you end up with a tangled mess. I have seen so many red fish just slam it that I used to keep a second rod handy that had one on with hooks. They have a white body and a red head.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:34 AM
NC Fly Guy

Some good info here. Fly pattern not as important as construction. What does the fly need to do? Weed guards are a must. The mono double post from 40 or even 50 lb mono works great for me. I have been using a lot of bunny fur lately for sight fishing. It moves a lot without having to take the fly away from the fish.
For topwater I like a Gurgler.
Most important part of getting reds on fly is getting it in a place where the fish will see it. If they see the fly and don't see you, they will most likely eat. The first two parts can be tricky though.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:05 AM

Eric....I just came back from Sanibel. I would highly suggest that you fish primarily north of the power lines on Pine Island Sound....south of them the environment is devastated (few fish/bait/weeds) due to flooding the area with fesh water from a polluted lake :-(
I rented a kayak from McCarthy's Marina on Captiva (just about 200 ft from 'The Bubble Room". Great rates and info......prior to the cold front, I was literally surrounded by tailing reds on most flats.....best time to fish is an hour before the low to an hour into the incoming for red on the flats..........from the marina....head north (left) till you find a small "bay"...all flats and shallow water....the island to the right of the marina is good as well.
Re flies........tan, tan and more tan.....the water there is crytal clear and they seem to like natural colors...also try a 1 1/2 inch long tan over white gurgler. For me the best fly was dark tan over light tan with brass dumbel eyes, tied clouser style with gold flash.
And oh!!!......there are about 1,000,000 lady fish there.....try and keep them off the line so that you can catch something else (I failed) :-) Paddle out till you can't see grass on the bottom.....ladyfish will be present :-) They are a hoot!
Tight lines,
Ron
PS: also caught a few sea trout and Spanish makeral....is there anything there without teeth? :-) Bring a ton of 20 lb tippet material
Old 02-04-2007, 10:11 AM

Many thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 02-04-2007, 11:41 PM

I've fished out of the Jean Lafitte and Barataria area - south 30 minutes or so from Joe's Landing out in the marsh. One of my top ten fishing memories is a 1/2 day trip with my son three Thanksgivings vacations ago. We went out with a character (guide) named "The Ripper". He wasn't a fly fishing guide, but he was a local Cajun who sure knew where the reds were. We boated and released somewhere between 15 and 20 reds that were all between 24" and 30". It was blue and white and green and white clousers that day.

Anybody know the status of the area since Katrina? I'd love to go back, and I've often thought about the fate of The Ripper and Joe's Landing, and Griffin's Fishing Lodge.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy
I've fished out of the Jean Lafitte and Barataria area - south 30 minutes or so from Joe's Landing out in the marsh. One of my top ten fishing memories is a 1/2 day trip with my son three Thanksgivings vacations ago. We went out with a character (guide) named "The Ripper". He wasn't a fly fishing guide, but he was a local Cajun who sure knew where the reds were. We boated and released somewhere between 15 and 20 reds that were all between 24" and 30". It was blue and white and green and white clousers that day.

Anybody know the status of the area since Katrina? I'd love to go back, and I've often thought about the fate of The Ripper and Joe's Landing, and Griffin's Fishing Lodge.
Hey Mugsy,
I've never fished out of Lafitte before but I have heard that it is awesome. I'll be going down in the Leeville / Golden Meadow area. We were there a month before Katrina and this will be our 1st time back since. They say that the fishing has been unreal sine the storm.

Mitch
Old 02-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Maybeck

Cajun Flies

CC:
Although I'm currently living/working in the Bahamas, Baton Rouge is home.
When I tell people down here that I enjoy flyfishing for reds as much as bones they find it hard to believe.
I use 3 primary flies in the marsh Merkin Crabs, Spoon Flies, and Clousers (I prefer all Black).
Two good local web site are Laflyfish.com and rsff.org.Local Guide Danny Ayo has a nice web site regarding flies , leadres ect.
Reports post Katrina are that the fishing is as good or better than ever. Have fun back home!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeck
CC:
Although I'm currently living/working in the Bahamas, Baton Rouge is home.
When I tell people down here that I enjoy flyfishing for reds as much as bones they find it hard to believe.
I use 3 primary flies in the marsh Merkin Crabs, Spoon Flies, and Clousers (I prefer all Black).
Two good local web site are Laflyfish.com and rsff.org.Local Guide Danny Ayo has a nice web site regarding flies , leadres ect.
Reports post Katrina are that the fishing is as good or better than ever. Have fun back home!

Hey Maybeck,
Thanks for the info. I have found Danny Ayo's page and it got me fired up and ready to go catch some reds after reading it. It was very interesting and informative. I'll have to look up the Merkin Crab. I have a few clousers I tied up that are all black. I used Buck tail and crystal flash on them. I also have a hand full of spoons and other flies I tied so far. I used to spin fish for them in Leeville a lot before I moved to Colorado. I didn't start flyfishing until I moved here. What else do you fly fish for in the Bahamas besides bones?

I have a brother that is coming in April to visit here in Colorado. He is planning on bring up a sack of Crawfish in an ice chest. Ahaaaa! I can't wait. 2 years ago a different brother came up and brought some and they all made it alive.

On my trip to La. my first priority is to land a few reds on my 7 wt. 2nd priority is a meat trip so I can bring back at least 5 or 6 ziplock bags of fish. With that said, I will have atleast 50 cockahoe minnows in the boat. *LOL* You know how it is when fishing something artifical when there is so much live bait in the water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.