New Bahamian sportfishing regulations - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 08:13 AM

New Bahamian sportfishing regulations

It would seem bonefishers 'dodged the bullet' in the last round of Bahamian sportfishing regulations. The 07 rules limit posession to 6 pelagic fish and 20 lbs of bottom fish, eliminate spearfishing and conch gathering by foreign recreational fishermen, but make no mention of bonefishing other than, presumably, limiting posession to 20 lbs.
I'm fully in support of these new regs, although a lot of folks who used to boat over and 'load up' are seemingly upset. They've done a fine job of fine-tuning the regs with an eye toards the type of 'sport' fishermen they want in their waters.
Ity's a bit of a bummer for me to not be able to pick up a conch and have it for supper, but its a small price to pay for what I think are proactive and well thought-out rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 09:20 AM

It has the Florida boaters all upset, but should not be of any concern to bonefishermen. Can buy all the conch you can eat for a couple bucks a pound.

The Bahamas does need to think hard about conserving the resources.

http://www.breef.org/BREEF/Portals/0...Report%203.pdf
Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 AM

I always thought it would be a huge pain in the ass to cross the stream, burn hundreds of gallons of fuel and then have to go through customs just to get back into the country. Fun day.....I don't have a ton of sympathy for the FL power boat squadron who only want to fill their coolers and go home.

These new regs seem more than fair.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonefishschmidy
Man, I wish I discovered this site earlier in my trip planning process to Exuma. I'm there for 6 days with 3 days guided fishing booked. It really seems crazy to me that after spending almost $1200.00 on guides, anybody could be miffed if I cast a few beaches and flats with my son on off days. Never heard of such a thing.

Other destinations I've been folks point me in all directions for DYI. But I'd never dream of fishing a flat a guide took me to. That just seems like common courtesy to me.

If confronted, I'm not sure what I'd do! My son may see something not so Minnesota nice.

Schmiddy
Old 02-26-2007, 08:05 AM

Several boats have been 'seized' recently for relatively minor infractions of the new fishing rules. While locals apparenty get a proverbial 'slap on the wrist', Bahamnian authorities are taking a tough stance against foreign poachers.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Schmiddy -

Just make sure you say you are here fishing with (guide name here) staying at the (lodge) when you get confronted.

Ask if they have any advice for the boy to catch a bonefish today. I think they will consider that you are there with a lodge and guide.

Best option is to get the guide to steer you in the right direction so you have a recommendation from him to mention to another guide.

Fish the airport flat very early and after 4pm and or Rolleville.

Good luck.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-28-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josko
Several boats have been 'seized' recently for relatively minor infractions of the new fishing rules. While locals apparenty get a proverbial 'slap on the wrist', Bahamnian authorities are taking a tough stance against foreign poachers.
As it should be don't you think. The only thing worse thatn a local poacher is a poacher from away. And a poacher from another country!?! Throw the book at 'em!

It would be a shame if DIY flats fishermen are impacted by capricious and short sighted regulations...but hey, it's their country. Read the rules and follow them. Conduct illegal activities in the third world at your peril.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:40 PM

so if i'm going fishing on grand bahamas for bonefish, do i need a license? or can i just wade from a beach? Don't plan on keeping any
Old 03-04-2007, 07:21 AM

I think rules ought to be uniformly enforced. If anything, I get a sense that a local EPO might give a, say, UK visitor, fresh off the plane, even more of a break than a local. I'm talking about Bahamians brazenly disregarding the new rules with no adverse reaction.

s far as I know, a sportfishing licence is not required for wading or fishing from shore, just for boats.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josko
I'm talking about Bahamians brazenly disregarding the new rules with no adverse reaction.
Josko, I hear yah. I'm just as po'ed as you for the way Anna Nichole was fast tracked through imigration. I mean....Who do I have to bl@w!
Really, it is no surprise that the rules are unfairly applied in the Bahamas. I can't say we have perfect law enforcement here in the states.
When I fished on one island, I was told by a freind to drop the name of a friend of his if I got into any trouble. Apparently this guy is like a cross between a Soprano and a Kennedy (maybe the two are not so different?). I figured that if i dropped that name, they'd say, "Oh yeah? Where's his house?". Works for my friend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.