IGFA question - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 03:42 PM
CantAnchorUs

IGFA question

Spent a good deal of time at the show trying to get an answer to a question on IGFA rules. There appears to be a line class record that I might possibily take a shot at. So here goes. For a 16# class record what would be the maximum tippet strength allowed? I ask this because the spools of material I was looking at say IGFA 16# class but are said on the label to test out at 17.8, I found this on 2 brands. If I were to submit a fish on this tippet would it be disallowed? If I have to step down a tippet size I would be looking at a leader that says IGFA 12# rated but breaks at 13.4. WTF? I got a few answers that appear to be reasonable but none definite. The most logical was anything that breaks at less than 16# would be good to go. Then how can they claim the tippet is 16# IGFA rated? I did find one brand that supposedly test out at 15.8, but due to small variations might in fact go a little higher, too close to take a chance with. If I drop down to the next class size would there be a problem with submiting a fish caught on 13.4 # tippet? I also heard that there is a minimum length for the tippet although that should not be a problem since I allways fish a long tip.
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2007, 04:33 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
While I'm not an expert, here are some general responses to your questions. Tippets for IGFA records must be 15 inches long and if you are using 16lb tippet, you can use the metric equivalent, which is 8kg. Since a kilogram is 2.2 pounds, a 8kg tippet is 17.6 pounds. There is also a class tippet for 20lb, or 10kg. If you use a shock/bite leader, it must be no greater than 12 inches in length.

You can goggle IGFA for detailed info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 07:00 PM
CantAnchorUs

So the 17.6 would be allowable? That seems strange. Now I`m even more confused.
Slinger
Old 01-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Jonesin...

Steve,

I took a look at my IGFA record book and it looks like Jim is spot on. The classes are rated in Metric with a reference to the US Customary measure. So while most of us quote the records in the US measure they are actually metric limits. I guess that explains the tippet material you were looking at this weekend. Breaking at 17.6 meets the 16lb tippet class.

Sean
Old 01-23-2007, 12:03 AM
President of CAC

On a related subject, my recollection is that any scale (not tippet issue), needs to be some how "certified" for fish weight to be concidered acceptable to the Assoc. Not exactly sure how that is done but I think certain shops can do that in advance by testing your weight scale...Just FYI...John
Old 01-23-2007, 12:55 AM
CantAnchorUs

John, so good to hear from you again. I hope all is well!
Slinger
Old 01-23-2007, 10:03 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Steve, you mentioned going for an IGFA record. Curious, what are you fishing for and where?

John, great to see you on the board. Hope all is well, and will see you in May.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:30 PM
CantAnchorUs

I should keep this to myself to avoid compition, but being sneaky is not one of my many faults. The current IGFA record in the 16# tippet size for Bonito is only 7lb. 4 oz. While thats a pretty good size Bonito, I think its totally doable. The trouble will be getting one to eat a tip that heavy, hence my question as to how light I can go before I end up in the 12# class where the record is substantially higher. This record may have changed, my info isn`t the most recent.
Slinger
Old 01-23-2007, 12:34 PM
CantAnchorUs

For those that think thats a pretty large order for a Bonito, just ask Jim W about Watch Hill in Late Oct.
Slinger
Old 01-23-2007, 12:53 PM
CantAnchorUs

Or check the book and see where all the records come from!
Slinger
Old 01-23-2007, 01:04 PM
CantAnchorUs

Just tried to check they`re web site to find the most current list and it won`t allow me to check without joining. They can kiss my a$$.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Fly chucker

Are you talking to yourself again?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.