Saturday at Malboro - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Pencil me in.....

Saturday at Malboro

Must have arrived at the show a little early this am because when I called Slinger on his cell phone he was still in bed ...I made a few quick trips thru the maze to note that a few notable gear manufacturers were missing. Show go a bit crowded in the late morning as a few folks I recognized started showing up. Slinger appeared..then Sean Ransome... a few scattered canal folk..a few Todds....Capt. Ray was tying away..Sean McD and his wife were checking out some new rods..Had a long talk with Lou Tabory, which is always a pleasure...Finished off with a hearty meal at the Longhorn with Slinger, Juro, Sean R, Tom D, and few scattered canal folk.. Good time...found a few of Slinger's DNA shrimp mixed in with our shrimp appetizers.. I almost ate one, so I took them home

Last edited by jfbasser; 01-21-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2007, 11:15 PM
CantAnchorUs

This show ranked right up there, not because of the show but because of the people I got to talk with. I managed to make it all day and only spent $2.50, till the last 15 minutes! There seemed to be a lot of renewed interest in the slower action rods, lots of bitchin about broken rods. I don`t care how good the warrenty is, I`m sick of sending them back!
Slinger
Old 01-20-2007, 11:19 PM
CantAnchorUs

Cruisin the show with Basser is like having the pocket guide to who`s who. There ain`t nobody he don`t know.
Slinger
Old 01-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Jonesin...

No Doubt...

Steve,

I couldn't agree more. I don't know what it was but it seemed like the vibe was different this year. Friends comparing notes on the new rods, exchanging fly tying ideas and just generally shooting the $&*!. Definitely realizing that I am going to need to fish a lot to make good on all the "we gotta get out together this year" exchanged. Something tells me that won't be a problem though .

Sean
Old 01-21-2007, 07:01 AM

"There seemed to be a lot of renewed interest in the slower action rods, lots of bitchin about broken rods. I don`t care how good the warrenty is, I`m sick of sending them back! "
Steve- How many TFO"s did you break this past season? I'll stick to my St Croixs, some of them are 5 or 6 years old and still going strong and I don't take any exceptional care of them. I do have a TFO professional 10wt that I use occsionally but the cork is starting to deteriorate from use. The quality control in the foriegn countries is lacking and when the goods come into this country there is no quality control measures to ensure that the goods meet the parent companies' standards. Therefore we end up with equipment that is inferior to our expectations. Just my ramblins, Ron
Old 01-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Pencil me in.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger
Cruisin the show with Basser is like having the pocket guide to who`s who. There ain`t nobody he don`t know.
Slinger
I just hand everyone one of your shrimp flies and they become instant friends. Have you checked your inventory lately?...Next time use circle hooks in case they get mixed in with our meal

Good luck with your new rod, Slinger. I am awaiting the next issue of Slinger Consumer Reports...and your pursuit of a new line class record!

Last edited by jfbasser; 01-21-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:05 PM
CantAnchorUs

I have a 9wt thats broken 3 times, I have a 10wt that has gone back twice and is currently in the truck awaiting it`s third trip to Dallas and I have a 7ft spin rod that has broken dead center also in the truck waiting to go back. None of these broke on fish, all while casting. The rep had the audacity to tell me that only 1/100 of a percent were ever sent back for repairs. Oh the cork rings are starting to fall apart too! I fish them hard and am not known for my care of equipment but this is totally unacceptable. The new Albright Lou Tabory moderate action rods will be my next set of twins!
Slinger
Old 01-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Nice to chat with so many Forum members and see they were enjoying the show.

Fishhawk was circling the table but never landed.
JF Basser was always on the move.
Nice conversation with Shadfreak. Glad you introduced yourself.
Steve DNA Slinger looking to corner the market on materials.
Sean and his lovely wife trolling for new equipment.

Sorry not to see Juro or meet Sean Ranson for the first time.
These legends are hard to pin down.

Anyone else I might have slighted with my failing memory. Last night I was 58. Today I'm 59.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:26 AM
Secret:Time on the water

Damn I missed the show this year. SOunds like everyone had a good time as usual. I have been working so damned much that the only time I have lately is this time of night. On my way to bed as we speak but wanted to say I am sorry I missed you all, I was truly planning on being at the show but failed to check on the dates and lo and behold it came and went while I was still working. Oh well probably saved me some money at least.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:24 PM

Capt Ray said hi to you but you were tied up with some potential clients . At the next gathering I'll land for sure. FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.