Exuma Bonefish - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2007, 08:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonefishschmidy
Exuma Bonefish

My first post! Just discovered this forum. Great info and seems to be a happy place.

I'm on a fly fishing odyssey I just can't stop. Started tying flies actually before fly fishing. Probably an intermediate bone fisherman, have all the gadgets, and six Bahamas trips under my belt. Bimini, Abaco, Green Turtle, and Grand Bahama.

We're off for 7 days to Exuma in mid February. That's me, my wife, and 11 year old son. The mission is to get the boy his first bonefish on fly. Greg Vincent at Pelican Bay, Grand Bahama hooked him up with more than a few on shrimp last year. I made him take the pledge. "I'll never chunk bait at a bonefish again!" And he won't. He's deadly to 35 feet.

I'm looking for comments or recommendations for the trip. We're staying at the Palm Bay Beach Club unit 25. And booked for three days guided fishing with Garth Thompson, Reno Rolle, and Drexel Rolle. We'll also do some DYI on days off.

Any input?

Schmidy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2007, 09:52 PM

Sounds like you'll have a great fishing partner for a long time!
Old 01-20-2007, 05:36 AM
In moderation

Hi Schmidy
Exuma was the first place I every went bonefishing. It was a long time ago but after that I was really hooked.
You are very lucky to have a fishing partner like that I only have daughters who are interested in other things.

If you have any specifics we can help with let us know.

Pete
Old 01-20-2007, 11:16 AM

Lets start with the fly box.

Everything except the 'cuda and tarpon flies I tied myself. Understand that I live about 1500 miles from an ocean in any direction. I don't think there's anywhere else in North America quite this far from the salt. So I can't just go peek in somebody's fly box. I'm also about 200 miles from the closest fly shop. So materials are hard to come by. So no snickering!

About half the puffs, charlies, gotchas and such I tied in the last couple of weeks for this trip. Mostly 4's with some 6's and a few 8's. I've got boxes of clousers and a few crabs which I've never used in the past.

I've got some zonker strips back-ordered and hope to have them in time for a few Simram's before I go.

Anything I gotta have that's missing?

Schmiddy
Old 01-20-2007, 06:17 PM

Exuma

I would highly recommend you visit the Airport Flat. Time the visit so you go on 1 hr before low, and start moving off no more than 3 hrs later. You will see more bones in one visit than most people see in their life. If you actually want to catch any, you'll need flies with no weight, 6 to 8, and long leaders.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:53 PM

I've read about the famous airport flat. Supposedly fished pretty hard and spooky fish.

Water depth is something I'm a little concerned about. Almost all of my flats fishing has been from a boat in 18" to two feet of water. I understand fishing in Exuma is primarily wading in very skinny water.

So I've tied a bunch of blind flies as well as 6's and 8's with very small bead chain.

The tide tables for my dates are very high - new moon. I suspect even the normally shallow flats will have a bit more water. My biggest problem may be keeping 'em out of the mangroves.

Schmidy
Old 01-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Looks like you are just up the coast from Georgetown. The fishing scenarios will depend on whether you fish the south end, the north end or if they take you around the area to the southeast Crab Cay etc. I'm sure they will take you to the airport flat at some point.

DIY is tough on Exuma because the guides are aggressive in trying to stop it. If you are approached while fishing, I would recommend that you talk about the guides you have paid, perhaps having them recommend spots for you to bring some reason to the discussion.

We found some beautiful and remote spots but even there got some trouble from a guide who was illegally building a personal boat ramp on private property.

There is a very nice flat up around Rolleville to the north that is somewhat DIY friendly. The Airport flat fishes well in moving tides after 4pm when the guides are leaving for the lodge.

We found a lot of mud flats so be careful, it's not easy to get oneself out of that when both legs are mired down to the stones.

While you are fishing with a guide, and while you have his recommendations as a defensive response to any confrontations, you will be set. Exuma has some huge bones and I hope you guys get into them!

Good luck
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-22-2007, 09:12 AM

Look Great

Schmidy
I'm no expert on Bonefish flies but I have tied for many years (mostly Salmon flies) and your flies look just fine to me. I have the same problem getting materials and gear as well, it's mail order or nothing where I live.
Hope you have a great trip

Juro
Is the DIY thing that much of a problem with guides all over the Bahamas or is it just certain places ?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:24 PM

Just "fine" Trevor B? They're the best bonefish flies in Northome! Oh yeah, they are the only bonefish flies in Northome.

Juro, Thanks for the advise. Somebody chewing on me for DYI fishing with my 11 year old along better have stones bigger than my up to the mud mired stones. I bet I could free myself pretty fast!

The whole DYI thing puzzles me. But will navigate the sensitivities as best I can. Thanks for the heads-up.

Schmiddy
Old 01-28-2007, 12:10 PM

It puzzles everyone. It is very shortsighted and the goverment should do somthing about it. Thats my 2 cents.
porkslice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.