Fly Fishing Forum banner

New - fly help

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jimS 
#1 ·
I am new to fly fishing. Just getting started with gear. Starting with a beginners set from LL Bean. This way I don't have to much $$ into it if I don't like it.

I have learned a lot about lines, leaders and tippets in the past few days. But I confused about the difference between wet, dry and nymph flies. How can you tell them apart and what are their actual functions? I live in PA. I have ordered a few trout sets, but they have yet to arrive. Any help or web links about fly differences would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome aboard. In brief, the fly types you're asking about are:

Dry flies - These imitate the adult stages of insects when they are on the surface of the water, either after emerging from their nymphal shucks or landing on the water to lay eggs.

Wet flies - These imitate emerging insects and many other forms of tiny underwater life that fish might find edible. These flies are most often fish on the swing (with a tight line) so that the current can impart action against the flyline and move the fly.

Nymphs - These are usually weighted and imitate the nymphal stage of insect life, which almost always occurs on the bottom of a stream, river, lake, or pond. When fished in moving water, these flies are usually fished with a dead drift, meaning that they are allowed to tumble naturally with the current like a real nymph would.

As far as internet resources go, you don't need to search any further than where you already are. This site's members can answer most questions, and we often get together to fish in small or large groups. New faces are always welcome. :)

#4 ·
Welcome to the flyfishingforum. There is loads of good info on this site related to steelhead fishing. Drill down to the specific topic. Good patterns for Erie steelhead include sucker spawn, single egg, and pheasant tail patterns. Most have to be dead-drifted in the currenbt to be effective. There are times when swinging streamers can be deadly. Drop me a pm if you have specific questions about Lake Erie steelhead and/or trout fishing in NW PA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.