big pattern tube flies-how to? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2007, 07:28 AM

big pattern tube flies-how to?

i just realised that the forum does not have a section for general fly tieing, so i hope that this is the right location for a question. i do a trip to the amazon for peacock bass each year. this year i'm lucky enough to be doing 2! in order to consistantly catch big fish on the fly, big patterns (6"-8") with a broad profile are usually required. there are 2 problems-casting being the odvious first, and short strikes being the second. i've experimented a lot and have kind of settled in on flat wing flies because they are so light if not aerodynamic. for those of you with familiarity with tube flies, i'm wonderring if they are or can be effective in such large patterns and, any info on "how to" and what materials etc. would be appreciated. i've never tied them and am generally unfamiliar with them. can they be incorporated into a flat wing pattern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Local Boob

The problem with big tube flies, or at least a problem I've had, is that the hook can get in the way of any long material you tie in for a tail.

My way around it, is to tie most of the length onto the rear hook, and the body on the tube.

My favorite pattern is a type of Buffy/Deceiver where I tie the saddle hackles (or schalappen) flash, and bucktail to a circle hook. Then tie a spreader, with polar fiber and syn-yak to a tube.

The pattern works well for stripers (although there are simpler ties that likely work just as well.

Another way to get similar results is to tie the tail materials to a thick piece of mono, this offers the benefit of not being able to rotate around itself like a tube fly can.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:25 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Do a search...

Try using the "search" function and type in Dual Tube for starters...

As I recall, there are a few posts regarding large tube flyz and herring patterns...gotta' go diggin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#3a.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	6232   Click image for larger version

Name:	DualTubez4.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	6233   Click image for larger version

Name:	tubez2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	6234   Click image for larger version

Name:	HerringTubePhlyz3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	6235  
Old 01-22-2007, 10:33 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Another possibility...

The Owner Oversize 7/0 #5110-171 would allow for a large phlatwing style profile with a keel hook application...
Here is a large tube phly (L) and an easier to tye hook-up-herring (R)...less apt to foul on weeds, messels, whatever...Both technical and challenging but worth it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DualTubeHerringPhly2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	6236   Click image for larger version

Name:	OwnerHookUpHerring2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	6237  
Old 01-23-2007, 12:03 AM
stop killing wild fish

I tie exclusively on tubes for salt and all anadromous fish. I have never had any problems with fouling or short strikes. Just a question are you using the flexible tubing to hold the shank of your hook out from the tube? And are you using tube fly hooks?
Old 01-23-2007, 07:02 AM

jhicks, my post probably wasn't so clear. i have never tied a tube fly before and was wonderring (1) if they can be tied in large (6"-8") patterns; (2) can they be effective in a flatwing style, and (3)are they a solution to a "short strike" problem. thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.