Grand Tetons and Yellowstone Oppurtunities - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 10:42 AM

Grand Tetons and Yellowstone Oppurtunities

I will be on a 2 week RV vacation with my family the first 2 weeks of July visiting both Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. I have booked a one day float trip on the snake river for when I am in Jackson, but would like some advice as to hitting other places by myself. This is a family first trip so I will have to be able to seize any moments I can. Say getting up before everyone for a couple of hours, that type of thing. I know this is pretty vague question but any guideance would be greaty appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Satisfied

The first 2 weeks in July on the Snake in the JH valley can be a bit tough despite what guide services will tell you.....they want the biz! However, ask the company you booked with if they have permits for any of the spring creek fishing around here....that's where the hogs hang out at the end of runoff. Not to say you can't land fish on the Snake then.....you can, it is just not your best option.
If you are looking for a guided float trip in the area, look into a day on the South Fork or even the Henry's Fork. They will be more fishable then. The scenic aspect however, doesn't compare to the JH sections of the snake. If I were you, I'd book a scenic float trip through GTNP with your family and book your fishing on the South Fork!

As for your other options:

If you look at the WY Gazetteer, you will find many tributaries to the Snake around JH. They should all start fishing then and the larger ones have plenty of public access points.

Jellystone has tons of fishing to offer as well. No floating but unlimited wading. There are some great books/guides out there on fishing in the park...get 1 ! you will find LOTS of access right off the road as well. However, the farther you go from the car, the better the fishing can be. YNP sees lots of well deserved pressure...the fishing is superb! There are too many places to detail, especially in an open forum, so, check out a map and feel free to PM me when you and the troops are approaching the region next summer. I'm happy to help you out.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippin_Lips

As for your other options:

If you look at the WY Gazetteer, you will find many tributaries to the Snake around JH. They should all start fishing then and the larger ones have plenty of public access points.
Great way to get away from the crowd, you'll often find you are on your own; just you, the fish and the wildlife.

Have a hoot; I have great memories of fishing around here and the outstanding hospitality of my hosts, who run a farm on the Teton.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the advice, I just ordered the Gazette from Amazon. The outfitter did warn me about the spring run off but said if it was too bad he had some private spring creek access we could fish. I am really looking forward to this trip. Being from New England a lot of my trout fishing is for stocked fish. I do get to Maine for wild salmon and brookies but not enough. Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:09 PM
BB5 Survivor

check your PM
Old 01-23-2007, 05:50 PM

My TU Chapter (Millers River) will have a speaker named Paul Bakstran who will be giving us the rundown on flyfishing Yellowstone on 2/21/07. The location is 100 Main St., Athol Ma. and it starts at 7pm. N/C and it's open to the public. If you or anyone else is interested......

Millerbrown
Old 02-01-2007, 05:33 PM

Id say youll be ok on the snake, especially if its toward the end of your trip, toward the middle of July. its usually clear by the end of June and we have had a relatively light snow year so far. It fishes great right after runoff too. Plus like others have mentioned, there are alot of tribs with plenty of wild cutts to try your hand at around if you just get creative w/ the topo map. gros ventres and hoback are two with great access. good luck
Old 03-21-2007, 08:05 PM

South Fork of the Snake

Take a look at Teton Valley Lodge. You will not be dissapointed. If you like catching big fish on big flies we can help you out. Our guides responsibility and purpose on the river is to have you catch as many fish as you possibly can, period.

(link removed)

Last edited by juro; 03-22-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

If you'd like to sponsor this site we'd love to accept your promotions. Until then please review the membership agreement which outlines policies for commercial links in posts.

thanks
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.