I Found the Hooknoses... - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2001, 07:07 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I Found the Hooknoses...

...but I just got home and need to sit down and relax. Report to come later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2001, 07:14 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

ARGHHH!! NO FAIR! Ryan, go buy a red bull, guzzle it, and TYPE!

Seriously, rest up buddy... but make the report good ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2001, 07:59 PM
Mod

...reel empyting, rod doubling, tailwalking hooknoses!! But now I gotta go unload my truck...
}> ^_^
Old 09-27-2001, 10:37 PM
Mod

This was first solo venture into the saltwater of Sekiu. I had the great teachers of Juro and Brian (DoubleSpey) last week, but today I was on my own. Let me just say that everything is a little tougher when you have the whole boat to yourself, especially when faced with large swells and constant chops that pounded me all day long.

When I got in last night, the general consensus was that the fishing was very good and many big fish were to be had (2, 20+ weighed at the Clallam Bay grocery). But due to the nasty storm that rolled through with torrential rains and gusting winds, everyone was pleased to get their two fish and make it back in one piece yesterday.

When I first looked out the window this morning, I was pleased to see clear skies and just a light breeze. I hurried as fast as I could, grabbed my boat and headed first for Slip Point, as my cabin neighbors advised me that the fishing was very good there the past couple days.

The fishing started off slow for me at least, as I bucktailed my way towards Slip Point. An hour into the day and many nets flying around me, I was becoming discouraged.

The water was not glass calm as what with Juro and Brian last week. In fact, it was the exact opposite! As the sun came up the breeze picked up and made the water very choppy-as I believe the Straight had yet to recover from yesterdays howling winds. I had to trouble keeping the boat straight at first and was a little anxious about heading into deeper water.

A little north and a little west of Slip Point, I hit my first fish. A nice little coho about 5-6 pounds. Whew...finally off the snide. Maybe today was not going to be so bad...

As I headed North, working my way into deeper water, following diving birds and congregations of boats, I saw even more nets flying around me.

I began to head West. Not a short while later, line was peeling off my reel. I popped the boat into neutral and managed to gain my footing in the rocking, spinning, and dancing boat. Among one of the swells, I saw the heavy spray of a large coho somersaulting across the surface. The fish dived and the rod doubled. And in a matter of seconds the heavy pulsating of the rod stopped, the rod unload and dryline popped to the surface. I sulked for a quick moment but shook it off...

The fish had to be 10#'s...hopefully this was a sign off what was to come.

What was to come was a day of a few large fish and one that epitomized hooknose!!

A near repeat of the first fish followed except the second one was faster, took more line, dived deeper and doubled the rod even more. And like the first big coho, this fish just popped off. The rod was bent to butt and I was putting lots of pressure on him and the road just unloaded. My heart sank and I reeled as fast as I could, just hoping, JUST HOPING, the fish was running at me. But after taking up about a good amount of backing and my whole flyline, there was no fish. This fish was a teener but sadly I never say him.

I managed another small coho as I worked cautiously worked my way into deep water, bucktailing east-west then west-east.

Now the first two large coho can be debated about how large they were and if you would classify them as hooknoses. I never saw them up close and they fought like large teener coho. Juro, Brian and myself caught some nice coho but nothing LARGE and these two previous fish made the coho we encountered last week seem like planter trout.

I was trolling west-east, head held down out of the sun as I left my shades in my truck. I was also heading into the wind and into the chop. I was doing everything I could to keep the boat straight as well as reassuring myself that the large swells were now match for the boat.

And like the first couple hooks, this fish took off like off like a bat outta Hell but this fish was faster, ALOT faster then the second which was faster then the first. I popped the kicker into neutral, stood up and waited for the run to stop.

This run was not as long as the second but had more authority. It was not a quick burst but that slow, authoritarian way in which large fish take line. I slowly worked the fish, gave it a couple of extra sets and was putting as much pressure on this fish as possible. Then the fish ran at me and cleared the water in one of those forever etched in your mind leaps that dreams are made out of. VERTICAL was the best way to describe this leap...if only you could have been there to see it.

I have fought lots of steelhead, large high-teen Alaskan coho and those infamous Alaskan rainbows. All 3 of these races are known for awe inspiring jumps and I have seen all three of these races throw awe inspiring leaps but none have compared to what Mr. Hooknose pulled off in front of me today.

As the fish ran some more, I regained focus at the task at hand. But just as soon as I keyed back in on landing this large hooknose, I felt pop, then slack. A few moments earlier, I was literally yelling outloud 'Whoa...sh*t!" but now I was screaming "f***, F***, F***!!" I stripped in line as fast as I could in a futile effort, in hopes that he was still there but today was not my day to bring a monster hooknose into the boat.

I stood in the spinning boat, head dropped in despair and all that I could was slap my rod against the water and scream "F***!!" as loud as I could in hopes that the world would find out about the monster coho I had just hooked on the surface, on the fly, on a #7 bugrod. All that I saw, was a lone moocher in a boat not far off staring at me and my foul mouth. I am not kidding you, when I say that we looked at each other for a good minute. I purposely bucktailed by him as close as I could, because I needed a condolences. He looked at me and I looked at him..."WHOA!!...NICE!!! fish." All that I could muster was a short reply-"Yep."

I fished for another few hours but I had been beaten to oblivion. I wanted to head for the shipping lanes but the water conditions just would not allow and as the sun came high over head, I could not buy another fish.

I headed back for Sekiu. The lower Elwha was calling my name but so was my new found love-Bonny's Bakery in PA. I chose Bonny's as I was beat and starving.

So the fishing all in all was slow, nothing compared to the action I saw last week with Juro and Brian. But the few fish I hit were BIG, STRONG and ELUVISE to say the least.

I couldn't have hooked the fish I did today with Juro and Brian's lessons on Sekiu Coho last week. Thanks guys!!
Old 09-27-2001, 11:13 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Now you know why even with all the action we had last week - I left without being sated. The memories of the big deep bodied rod busting hooknoses from many years gone past haunted me. Fish that pulled the old rusty scale out in front of Olsens deep into the teens, and fish with different proportions than the common sleek and silver coho - fish with body dimensions and head dimensions that are as different as a schoolie to a cow striper, a blackmouth to a tyee, a jack to a salmon, and epic leaps to boot.

But I had a blast, and nothing can change that. In the years to come, I will target the monster coho again, and with a little luck the rain will come before I arrive and the encounter will materialize as it has for me years ago.

In those conditions I would have spent at least some time focused on the more sheltered areas east past Mousolini Rock and west past Eagle Pt on the flood to see if the big shouldered bad boys came to the kelp to find bait. There you just cast toward into the depths where you see feeding activity and the reduced wave action might have helped you get a couple hooknoses to hand.

I wonder if there were adjustments to the hook design or size that would have increased the holding power during the fight, but I suspect the boat being tossed had something to do with the dropped fish.

Kudos on braving the big seas alone, you deserved to hook the big nasty salmon - they just won this time that's all.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome report and I am glad you got a taste of hooknose fury; and a taste of Bonny's Bakery magic on the way home. Tough choice between a pass on the lower Elwha but I would have been at Bonny's too ;-)
Old 09-29-2001, 10:58 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Bravo Ryan!

Getting them in the boat is fun, but I definitely go for the battle!!

It's no fun being out on the water when the weather gets rough, and it would be especially not-fun to be there alone.

Were you still fishing your Flashy Lady??

hasta,

DS
Old 09-29-2001, 11:50 PM
Mod

The battles were great but I wish they would have lasted a little longer. I dont think I was geting a good hookset in them. I had two rods the other day. One was what I was fishing last week...9' #9 with the Rio Deep Sea 350 with a Flashy Lady. I kept that rod handy incase I ran into a pod of a fish, baitball or rip and I would cast to them with that.

But I mostly fished my 9'6" #7 (It is hard to know if you are in a pod of fish with just one rod out plus with the water conditions as they were it was not easy to stand up and cast so I bucktailed 95% of the day) with a straight floating line so that I was truly bucktailing. I was fishing a Trophy Flasher Fly-the fly that was hanging in my rear view mirror that I was showing you. I actually ran it rigged with a stinger so I was really surprised that my ratio of hooked fsh to fish lost was so low. ???

I could tell I wasnt getting good hooksets/hook placement in them because I didnt lose them due to slacklining them or on their jumps or at the boat. I would just feel the line go slack when the fish was running and even when I had my rod doubled over. ???

It was frustrating to say the least!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.