So Who's Going to Marlboro... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Middle Aged Member

So Who's Going to Marlboro...

...I'm not, I was but something came up.

Interesting that there's no show chatter on the various boards. Of course, the fishin boards are all pretty dead anyway. So whats the deal, nice weather have people busy doin other stuff? No shack nasties to spawn some fun, mudslingin threads?
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2007, 05:48 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Fred, come on down to the Somerset Show, at the end of the month. It's a big show, and a lot of the guys on this forum will be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Pencil me in.....

Fred, you sound like you need a new Grandson to keep you busy
Old 01-12-2007, 06:05 PM

The list of exhibotors for the Marlboro show looked rather disappointing. Just doesn't seem worth it to me...
Old 01-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Middle Aged Member

It'd probably be a good time to go cast some rods. Basser,why don't you cast a few 8wgts for me and give me a report. T&T HII, Helix, Xit, the new scott rod. Common line, something fairly nuetral like a 444SL floater or intermediate. No overlining please.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Pencil me in.....

Fred, a certain fellow I know has an 8 wt Lamiglass rod that just came to him from the factory...a new series for this year...We will be going up to the show to evaluate it against some of the more common offerings...I will let you know how we make out. I will try out all the rods with an 8 wt pencil
Old 01-13-2007, 09:23 AM

I'll probably try going on Fri. of this year. The show doesn't look that great. Same speakers with worn out talks. I'm in the market for an 8wt will let you know how some of the rods cast . I was trying to get the Basser to get sick and join me but he would'n bite . Something about work.
Next year I'm going to Somerset for sure. We should get a block of rooms for the Fourm and have a blast. Somerset Clave!!!!
FishHawk
Old 01-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Pencil me in.....

My latest problem is finding a decent reel for an 8 wt. I have blown up a Tioga on small fast movers, Abels & Tibors are a bit too heavy, Daniellsons have a reel foot that is much too stout and fat for some reel seats, the Ross's need a bubble bath after each use ...etc etc. ....the search goes on...my conventionals take a lickin and keep on tickin...
Old 01-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have to admit the politics of the Marlboro show mgmt are enough to keep me away... stonewalling faithful perrenial exhibitors should be outlawed. What's flyfishing coming to when these kinds of antics play into it, sad really.

However I will be going to attend the FFF instructors meeting and some other business stuff. I'll take a pass through to say hello to friends in the various booths and have talked to a lot of Forum members who will be attending as well so it should be fun.

Things we've done in the past include breakfast before the show, dinner at the Longhorn after the show, but we won't have a booth because the full commercial price is several hundred dollars before other costs and that's just not in our shoestring budget.

I'll be easing into casting for the first time since surgery in the next few days so you probably won't see me up on the casting pool without a disguise of some sort, I expect my casting to be pretty bad until the hand recovers.

I look forward to seeing Simon Gawesworth at the Rio booth, love talking to Lou Tabory, the Becks, the Hassans, etc - lots of familiar faces.

As usual there's not a lot I "need" but should be able to find things I want.

Anyone interested in hooking up for dinner after the show?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-13-2007, 11:53 AM
6th Year Apprentice

i am going on saturday morning and although it looks like more destination outfitters than products will be on show, I am really looking forward to it a great deal.

it may be a lot of the same old for you guys, but i am buzzed about seeing Ed Mitchell and Alan Coalo 's presentations and Lour Taborys casting all in one day, add to that seeing the Becks' work and its a pretty special day out.

These guys just don't go to Europe too often, so it feels like a privilige to see them - and i bet the other UK guys will be dead jealous too.

If you want to say hello, i will be the english guy asking all the questions

Mark.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:31 PM
LBFF Mojo

Juro I think I will go saturday just to watch you cast and dinner sounds good.

-sean
Old 01-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Flats Rat

I have a sales conference in Orlando that week-end but I might make Somerset this year....
Old 01-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Jonesin...

Patrice and I will be going on Saturday as well. I do wish it was a bigger show like NJ but its tough to make a 4+ hour drive each way to go down there with no chance of actually catching a fish! Not sure about dinner but look forward to seeing those who make it.

Sean
Old 01-14-2007, 12:08 AM

When complaining about the list of exhibitors and shops at the show, please keep in mind the cause.

The cost of a 10' booth is now $800-$1100.00! Paying the salaries of 2-3 people to man the booth for 4 days (set-up is the day before) $800-$1200. Hotel rooms for participants $300 - $500. Travel expenses, meals, etc etc.

Long and the short, easily $2500-$3000 just for a 10' booth. That means, just to break even that shop has to sell, at FULL RETAIL, $6500-$7500 at the show or directly attributable to the show in the the following weeks, just to BREAK EVEN!

Now think about your purchases, how much buying do you intend to do at the show?
Are you looking for bargains? Are you just going there to try out that new rod, then order it over the internet from someone who has just a website and no overhead just to save $5 - $10??!!

Go to the show, give your local shop your business, support our local shop. Your laptop will not watch you and tell you what you are doing wrong with your cast!
Old 01-14-2007, 12:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
I have to admit the politics of the Marlboro show mgmt are enough to keep me away... stonewalling faithful perrenial exhibitors should be outlawed. What's flyfishing coming to when these kinds of antics play into it, sad really.
I don't suppose anyone would care to shed some light on these politics? A PM would be fine if nobody wants to post on the board, but I've been going to this show for at least a few years now and have really enjoyed it. I'm disappointed to hear that folks feel like it won't be up to snuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.