Giant Trevally - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 10:08 AM

Giant Trevally

I have a few basic questons about fly fishing for giant trevally:

What's the leader setup? What size bite tippets?

I seem to loos a lot of fly lines due to rock cutoffs and wonder whether these high-strength tuna lines are any more abrasion resistant than the rest? Are any flylines better wrt this than any others? I realize I'd probably ruin the line for further use, but it's be nice not to loose the fish.

What flies have folks used? I know poppers are popular, as are nondescript large-profile flies. Are there any specific favorites?

I'm assuming this is a 12 wt game. What size fish becomes hopeless on 12 wt or any other fly tackle?

Any hints or insights on hooking, fighting and landing them would be very welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 10:48 AM
In moderation

Hi Josko
I have caught a few including an 85lb fish (see avatar) in the Seychelles. I use an 11wt. rod the shock tippet is not that important as they dont really have teeth but very strong jaws which can do a lot of damage.
I have used setups very similar to tarpon leaders and also straight 60lb loop to loop connected the the but section.
I understand that most fish are lost, broken off on coral heads, that's why the straight 60lb.
They are very dirty fighters.

Flies I have had success with have been mainly baitfish patterns with my "biggun" caught using a 3/0 epoxy head deceiver in white and bronze.

GTs will often just follw the fly and not take it and then again they can be extremely agressive and jump on the fly as it hits the water. They sometimes need to be teased a little to get them "lit up".
The only advice on fighting the fish I can give is down and dirty like with big tarpon and try to steer the fish away from any coral heads, If it stops behind a coral head then give the fish some slack and it will sometimes clear the line. But in general tighten the brake on the reel until it is almost solid and hang on.
Good luck.

Pete
Old 01-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Flats Rat

Mike Tyson has nothing on these guys

Another technique is a dead drifted popper if there's enough current.

It seems counter-intuitive but it does work. When an 80lb+ GT 'head'n tails' on your popper like a trout sipping an emerger its pretty cool. On CXI the guides chummed over some coral outcrops with bits of Tuna. I think live chum - crippled mullet etc. - would really get them going

I used the regular tarpon setup on a 12wt but I like the idea of 60lb straight through. So far I am 0 for 3 on big GTs. Seen a lot of backing and dumped a ton of sweat but I haven't lost a flyline yet
Old 01-04-2007, 11:58 AM

I also like the straight heavy stuff, especially for poppers. I've hooked a couple medium sized ones at Bikini, and they are always close to coral. I took to looping old flylines together as not to tear up a good one everyday as they invariably would run through a coral head and break off. But then so did the bones, bluefins, grouper.....

It's been a while since my last Bikini run, if they have their act together again anyone interested in setting up a trip? I think they are still at about $2800 per week plus air fare. Getting dates has become tough as they prefer divers, but June may be do-able and is a great time weather wise and pelagic wise.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
They are very dirty fighters
Great quote
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-05-2007, 02:18 PM

I caught a little one @ Christmas island, and lost a couple more. I think that luck has alot to do with landing one. If the fish snags a corral head, any thing short of chain is going to part.
It would havee been fun to catch one on a popper, but wheen we fished poppers, the fish seemed to get spooked.
The 35# fish I landed came to hand in about ten minutes on a ten weight. I was lucky not to get broken off.
An eighty pounder....good god! From shore no less!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.